To take part in our online community, you'll first need to create an account and then set up your community profile.
You can also specify your preferences to get news and events that are most relevant to you. In the future this will make it easier when you use our shop, make a donation or sign up for a Parkinson's UK membership.
There are 3 steps to setting up your account:
- Registering for an account
- Setting your preferences
- Activating your community profile
To register for the website click on ‘Register’ at the top right hand side of the home page and enter your details:
- First name/last name: Enter your real name. This will not be displayed to any other users.
- Username: Choose a username that you want to use each time you log in to the website. You will not be able to change this later.
- Email: Enter a valid email address. This is compulsory as all emails from our system are sent to this address. If you have to reset your password, information on how you can do that will be sent to this address.
- Password: Chose a strong password that it is easy to remember. There are tips under the password box to help you choose one. If you forget your password later, you can reset it from the website.
- Word verification: Type the characters you see in the picture. You also have the option of using an audio verification.
- Click on ‘Create new account’.
You will be sent an email that contains a link to verify your email address. You won't have full access to our website until you have done this. You can either click on the link or copy and paste it into your browser.
Setting your preferences (optional)
Once your account is verified, you will be taken to a page where you can specify your interests and location in order to personalise your experience on our website. You don’t have to do this but if you do, we can show you news and events that are relevant to you each time you log in.
If you don’t want to complete your profile at this time, scroll to the bottom of the page and click ‘No thanks’. You can always update these later through your Account Settings page.
After you have registered and your email address has been verified, you will have the option of activating your community profile. You'll need to do this If you want to post on our forum and be a member of our online community.
Once you've done this, you'll be able to post on the forum, use the personal messaging service, comment on pages (where this is available), ‘like’ posts and join in the conversation. You will also be able to personalise the information you want to display about yourself when you post on the forum.
Your avatar is the image that will appear under your display name on the forum. Chose a picture that you like and that represents you. The perfect size for the image is 125px x 125px though you will have a chance to crop a larger image.
- Click on ‘Browse’ and locate the image you would like to use from your computer.
- Once you’ve chosen your image, click ‘Upload’.
- You can crop your image by dragging the square you see to the right place.
- When you’re done, click ‘Finish cropping’.
- Note that after you've saved your community settings, you may need to refresh your page to display your newly uploaded avatar image.
Choose a name that you want to appear next to the content that you post on the forum. This should not be your real name. You may want to make your display name the same as your username that you use to log into the website. Note that you will not be able to change the display name name after you have chosen it.
Write something about yourself that you are happy to appear on your public profile.
Do not share details such as telephone numbers and email addresses.
You can also choose:
- to display the date you joined the community on your profile page.
- to send and receive messages from other forum members through our messaging system. It does not reveal your own email address.
- to get an email notification if someone sends you a message on our website. You'll need to log in to the website to view the message.
Once you have completed and saved your settings you will be ready to post on the forum, comment on pages (where this is available), 'like' posts and join in the conversation.
Updating your settings
You can update your preferences at any time by clicking on ‘Account settings’ from your profile page.