Guidelines for local group web editors
Guidance for local group web editors who want to update their pages on the Parkinson's UK website and set up social media.
All local groups have their own page on our website.
Remember that the website is often the first contact with Parkinson's UK for people affected by Parkinson's. It's vital for putting people in touch with local support.
So it's really important to make sure that details for your group are up to date.
How to send updates for your local group pages
Tips on writing for the web
- Think about your audience. Focus on new people wanting to find out about support in their local area.
- Don't include text such as 'Contact the secretary for more information' with no further details. New people will not know who this is.
- Don't include jargon.
- Write out abbreviations and acronyms in full.
- Be as concise as possible. Write short, simple sentences. Keep paragraphs short.
- For more tips, download our local group style guide (PDF, 77KB).
Friendly web addresses
Each branch and support group has a 'friendly' web address for easy access and promotion of web page, eg www.parkinsons.org.uk/portsmouth
If you don't know the address for your group and you'd like to use it, please ask our Local Support team on [email protected].
Local group external websites and social media
Some local groups choose to set up their own website, Facebook page or Twitter feed.
If the purpose of this is to host contact information with details of news and events, it may be easier to use the service we offer, as described on this page.
If you do decide to go ahead, you should:
- be committed to providing the ongoing maintenance and support required to run a website or page (please bear in mind that we can't offer support for external sites)
- ensure content is up-to-date, accurate and in accord with the charity's messaging
- use our logo
- include the following legal information somewhere on your site: "Parkinson's UK is the operating name of the Parkinson's Disease Society of the United Kingdom. A registered charity in England and Wales (258197) and in Scotland (SC037554). Registered office: 215 Vauxhall Bridge Road, London SW1V 1EJ."
- let us know you've set up your own site so we can check everything looks OK, and give you any tips if we think something needs editing (email [email protected])
- Iink to the Parkinson's UK website rather than copying content if you'd like to publicise information about our services, campaigns, research and events. This ensures that you're always directing people to the most up-to-date content.
- make sure you have permission to use any photographs you add
- respond promptly to people posting on your social media/website, particularly new people interested in joining your group
- add links to the main Parkinson's UK Facebook page and Twitter feed
- add the Parkinson's UK free confidential helpline number – 0808 800 0303. This could be useful if you receive any queries through your site that you can't answer.