Welcome to Module 2
In this video, Parkinson's UK volunteer Anne explains what Module 2 is all about.
What you'll learn
What does Parkinson's UK do? That's a question people might ask when you're volunteering.
This module aims to help you answer that question with confidence, and to explain to others how by volunteering, you're playing an important role in improving life for everyone affected by Parkinson's.
At the end of this module, you can expect to be able to:
- explain who we are and what we do - our vision and values
- understand more about the impact we've made in the past five years, and our plans for the next five
- understand ways that staff and volunteers are working together to achieve the charity's strategic goals
- explain how your role is supporting and/or improving life for people affected by Parkinson's
- describe some of Parkinson's UK's achievements
Task 1: Our vision and values
The hopes and views of people affected by Parkinson's have helped us form our clear vision for the future. We believe a cure will be found by overcoming the symptoms of Parkinson's one by one.
Our core values show the way we all work together to bring forward the day when no one fears Parkinson's.
We're a strong movement for change, informed, shaped and powered by people affected by Parkinson's. We value and support each other.
We're people with Parkinson's, scientists and supporters, fundraisers and families, carers and clinicians. We're working, side by side, to improve the lives of everyone affected by Parkinson's.
We innovate across everything we do. Creative, courageous and with pioneering spirit, we strive to continually improve.
We live and breathe our purpose. We set clear goals and strive to deliver the greatest impact for everyone affected by Parkinson's.
Task 2: Our strategy
The 2015-2019 strategy for Parkinson's sets out the steps Parkinson's UK will take to transform people's lives.
Watch this 6-minute film about our strategy. Can you see how our values and vision have helped us decide what our next priorities are?
Task 3: Volunteer clues
From taking photos at events to reviewing research funding applications, our volunteers do all sorts of things to improve the lives of people with Parkinson's.
Can you guess the volunteer role from the pictures in the slides below? Click through after each picture to find out if you're right.
Module 2: Top tips
- Like Parkinson's UK on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to keep up to date with the latest news. You can also watch our videos on YouTube and find photos from our events on Flickr.
- Visit the How we're performing and What we do sections of our website for more information about what Parkinson's UK is doing and the people you are supporting.
- Join Team Parkinson's, the movement transforming life with Parkinson's. You'll receive The Parkinson and Progress magazines to keep you in the loop with the latest Parkinson's news and insights, along with a pin badge to wear with pride and show you care.
- Sign up to our Research Support Network to receive regular emails about how to get involved in Parkinson's research.
- Join our Campaigns Network to receive regular updates about our campaigning work and how you can get involved.