Leaving hospital

When you leave hospital, make sure any concerns you have are resolved and that any planned aftercare is right for you.​

Before leaving hospital, check if your medications have been changed during your stay in hospital. Make sure you understand how you should take this new medication.

If your medication has been changed, check with the pharmacy that you’ll be given enough medication for when you get home. You’ll usually get a two-week supply.

If you’ve been in hospital for a long time or your mobility has changed, you may be able to see an occupational therapist. They can arrange a home visit with you before you’re discharged. The occupational therapist can suggest special aids, equipment, or other plans to make tasks easier.

You may be able to use patient transport services (PTS) if your condition makes it difficult for you to travel to the hospital. This is a non-emergency service that’s available in certain parts of the UK.

If you live in England, you’ll need to talk to your GP or the person who referred you to hospital, to see if you’re able to use this service. They’ll also tell you how you can access it.

If you’re in Northern Ireland, your GP will need to book transport for you.

In Scotland, you can see if you’re eligible for patient transport by calling 0300 123 1236. In Wales, you should contact the Welsh Ambulances Services on 0300 123 2303.

If you can’t get free transport, you may be able to claim a refund for the cost of transport from the Healthcare Travel Cost Scheme. To get a refund, you’ll need to show you’re not able to afford the cost of travelling to hospital, and don’t have a friend or relative that can take you.

Complaining will not affect your care. Hospital staff are committed to providing the best possible care for all patients, and complaining can highlight issues.

You may also like to let staff know when things have gone right. If you feel the care you’ve received was excellent, share this with them. You can do this while you're in hospital or when you get home.

You might also want to let Parkinson’s UK know, so we can make sure we highlight organisations that offer great care and set a good example.

In England

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is based in your hospital and can help you resolve concerns or problems you’re facing with the NHS. They can also give you advice on the NHS complaints procedure. Ward staff will have contact details for them.

Healthwatch is an independent organisation that invites people to share their views and experiences of health and social care services. Healthwatch shares this feedback with these services, and actively works to make sure they improve on complaints. Your local Healthwatch can help with complaints you have about services, including those related to your Parkinson’s.

In Northern Ireland

The Patient and Client Council (PCC) can help you make a complaint about health and social care you’ve received. You call them on 0800 917 0222.

In Scotland

You can contact the Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) run by Citizens Advice. They’re not based in hospitals, but you can find out more by calling 0800 917 2127

In Wales

You can contact the Community Health Council for the local health board where you’re being treated. You can find out which Community Health Council to contact on the Board of Community Health Councils website.

Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)

If you want to complain about not getting your medication on time while you were in hospital, we also encourage you to tell the MHRA.

They have a Yellow Card Scheme, which helps them monitor how safely medicines are being used. 

Download this information

Going into hospital when you have Parkinson's (PDF, 2.6MB)

We know lots of people would rather have something in their hands to read rather than look at a screen, so you can order printed copies of our information by post, phone or email.

Get It On Time

We're campaigning to make sure that everyone in a care home or hospital gets their medication on time – every time.

Last updated

Next update due 2028

If you'd like to find out more about how we put our information together, including references and the sources of evidence we use, please contact us at [email protected]