Financial help and support for carers

If you're a carer of someone with Parkinson's, you may be entitled to financial assistance such as benefits, allowances or grants​.

If your partner has Parkinson's, or you care for someone with the condition, you may have some concerns related to money.

You may be entitled to claim benefits if you care for someone with Parkinson's.

Everyone is different and the decisions you make about money will depend on your personal circumstances.

But the best thing anyone can do is to get as much information as you can about your options.

How can I access benefits and allowances?

The welfare benefits system can be complex and finding out what financial help is available is not always easy. But it's important to find out what you're entitled to, and to claim it.

Remember, not all benefits are means tested or taxed.

Carer's Allowance

You may be able to claim Carer's Allowance, which is a taxable benefit for people who regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person.

However, you can only claim Carer's Allowance if the person you are providing care for qualifies for Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

How do I access one-off grants?

See the Turn2us Benefits Calculator and Grants Search for information about sources of grant funding.

Charitable funds and trusts offer grants and can support daily costs for individuals in need. Some provide regular help, advice and practical support. Your local Citizens Advice may hold a record of these.

Occupational charities, for those who work or have worked in particular industries, and those for ex-service people can also be helpful.

Useful contacts for financial help and support

  • Carers UK has a lot of information about benefits you may be entitled to claim.
  • has useful information about financial help, including Carer's Allowance, direct payments and pensions.
  • nidirect has information about benefits for people who live in Northern Ireland.