Benefits for working age people

If you can't work, or if your ability to work is limited because of Parkinson's, there is financial support available.

The benefits you're entitled to will depend on your age, your income or savings, and whether you're currently employed or have previously paid enough in National Insurance contributions.

Benefits you may be entitled to include:

  • Statutory Sick Pay is for people who are still employed but are unable to work because of ill health. It is paid by your employer for the first 28 weeks of any period of sickness. Your employer may pay extra sick pay on top of Statutory Sick Pay.

  • Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance is for people of working age who are out of work or work fewer than 16 hours a week, and who are looking for work. It is available if you have paid enough in National Insurance contributions.  

  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit paid if your ability to work is limited by ill health or disability. It has two parts: Contributory ESA (if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions) and Income-related ESA (a means-tested benefit which is being replaced by Universal Credit).

  • Universal Credit is a new means-tested benefit that will eventually replace 6 existing benefits with a single payment for those who are out of work or on a low income. Extra elements that may be taken into account include your ability to work and any caring responsibilities you have.

  • Legacy benefits include those older benefits that are in the process of being phased out but may still be being paid to some existing claimants or in some parts of the country. These include Income Support, working-age Housing Benefit, Tax Credits and the income-related parts of Jobseeker's Allowance and ESA. 

Read our pages on each of these benefits for more information, including whether you qualify and advice on how to claim.

Ditch disability benefits cuts

People with Parkinson's rely on financial support to stay independent and in control. We're campaigning to stop harmful disability benefits cuts.