This consensus statement, along with its supporting checklist, case for service change and audit appendices, outlines the key medicines management issues that may face people with Parkinson's who are admitted to hospital. This includes the need to get their medication on time. It also highlights ways to manage these effectively.
- Care strategies
- Inpatient care and medicines management
- Service improvement
- Doctor (Geriatrician)
- Doctor (Neurologist)
- Nurse (other)
- Nurse (Parkinson's nurse)
- Occupational therapist
- Speech and language therapist
- End of life
Note: this resource is due an update. Please rely on clinical judgement if using it. The OPTIMAL medication calculator is referenced in the resource. Ensure you read its guidance fully before using it.
The statement aims to support local guideline development, and encourages discussion and learning through local service improvement activities. The intention is that this will lead to robust local processes that ensure people with Parkinson's have the best possible outcomes from a hospital admission.
The documents contain hyperlinks to help you easily access relevant information and Appendix 2 is an interactive PDF that you can download and adapt to include local contact details.
Its development was led by Paul Worth, Consultant Neurologist at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and a steering group of key professionals and a person affected by Parkinson's, Anne Ferrett.
It has been organised into 4 sections:
- Medicines optimisation consensus statement and Appendix 1 (Questions to ask on admission/ Management of non-oral medications/ Supporting a good hospital admission for people with Parkinson's)
- Appendix 2 (Admissions checklists)
- Appendix 3 (Building the case for medicines optimisation for people with Parkinson's)
- Appendix 4 (Evaluating practice of medicines optimisation for people with Parkinson's - Get It On Time Audit )
Download consensus statement and appendices
Medicines optimisation consensus statement and Appendix 1 (PDF, 161KB)
Appendix 2: Admissions checklists (PDF, 173KB)
Appendix 3: Building the case for medicines optimisation for people with Parkinson's (PDF, 131KB)
Appendix 4: Evaluating practice of medicines optimisation for people with Parkinson's (XLS, 78.2KB)