This competency framework was developed by the UK Parkinson’s Excellence Network, Motor Neurone Disease Association and MS Trust in consultation with allied health professionals (AHPs).
It aims to recognise the activities and responsibilities of allied health professionals when working with patients with progressive neurological conditions. It has additional sections which focus specifically on Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and motor neurone disease.
- Access to multi-disciplinary teams
- Occupational therapist
- End of life
The framework – currently for dietetics and occupational therapy - provides a standard list of the knowledge and skills required within each level of practice.
It sets out a clear career progression pathway. It might also be used to inform effective commissioning of specialist allied health professional services.
It aims to:
- create a framework that promotes greater consistency in allied health professional services for people with progressive neurological conditions
- create a list of competencies, approved by relevant professional bodies, that support practitioners to achieve and maintain high quality, safe and effective care to people with progressive neurological conditions
- support continued professional development at individual and team level
- support professional revalidation, recruitment and retention of specialist roles