Created by Parkinson's UK and the Open University this free online course takes approximately 10 hours to complete.
Important: this course was written in August 2017 and was due for review in 2020. Unfortunately due to the Coronavirus pandemic this review has not been able to be completed.
Some content may be out of date and it is up to the learner as to whether they take the course. All content is only accurate as from the date written and in particular medication information may now be out of date. You must make your own clinical decisions not based on the content of this course. Parkinson's UK takes no responsibility for clinical decisions made on the basis of this information.
Reviewing this course is a priority for this year.
Who is the course for?
It has been designed for professionals, such as Parkinson's specialist nurses and other clinicians, who work as part of the specialist team during the palliative and end of life phases.
It may also be useful for health and social care professionals who already have experience of working with people with Parkinson's, but wish to enhance their knowledge of palliative and end of life care in Parkinson's.
What participants will learn
- the principles of palliative and end of life care and how these can be applied in Parkinson's
- how to identify the challenges in practice of applying palliative and end of life care principles in Parkinson's
- the theory of advance care planning and the issues involved, such as power of attorney or advance decision to refuse treatment
- the symptoms which indicate the end of life phase in Parkinson's and the issues in management of this phase
- the importance of the family/carers of the client and their needs throughout the end of life phase through to bereavement
How does it work?
- As a health or social care professional you will have already undertaken learning on Parkinson's or have a good understanding of the condition. If you don't we suggest you first take one of the courses in the Related learning section below.
- This course is not suitable for professionals with a limited understanding of Parkinson's.
- The course is on the Open University's OpenLearn Create website. You can work through it online at a pace that suits you.
- You will have an opportunity to reflect on your practice, and you can use it as a framework to support group work with your colleagues.
- Once you've completed the course, you will earn a digital badge and Statement of participation certificate.
Sign up for the course
- Go to the OpenLearn Create Parkinson's: managing palliative and end of life care page.
- Register with the OpenLearn Create site by clicking on 'sign up/sign in' at the top right of the screen.
- When you've registered, click 'return to the page you were on' or click on the course link again from here.
- Click on ‘enrol now' just below the course title.
- Each time you go back to work on the course remember to sign in.