Parkinson's: Foundation modules for health and social care staff (Excellence Network)
These free, online, interactive modules, delivered by Parkinson's UK and endorsed by the Royal College of Nursing, will help any health and social care professional increase their knowledge and understanding of Parkinson's, so they can improve their practice.
How does it work?
You will be able to read, watch and listen to multimedia resources on Parkinson's. These are broken down into different learning units.
You can log in at any time to this self-directed learning to work through the learning units at a pace that suits you. You can choose to complete all of the learning units or only some.
There are activities to complete at the end of each unit that will help you apply the knowledge you have gained. The course isn't assessed, but a certificate is available to download to self-certify participation.
If you complete all the learning units it will likely take a minimum of 10 hours, but you can go at your own pace.
What will participants learn?
The learning units focus on the following areas:
- What is Parkinson's?
- How can I help people with Parkinson's manage their symptoms?
- What communication challenges may people with Parkinson's have?
- How is Parkinson's managed?
These will enable participants to:
- recognise and appreciate key Parkinson's symptoms
- improve their practice in caring for people with Parkinson's
- improve their practice in the management of Parkinson's
- identify and reflect on their existing knowledge of Parkinson's and its management
- develop the knowledge and confidence to recommend changes to practice in their workplace
Participants will finish the course with a good overview of Parkinson's and the knowledge to support improvement of their practice and that of their colleagues.
This programme has been endorsed by the RCN Centre for Professional Accreditation until June 2020.
Endorsement applies only to the educational content of the programme and does not apply to any product.
Who is the course for?
All health and social care staff.