There are lots of different things you can do to help yourself when you freeze. Read our 5 techniques below.
Try the following:
- Count out loud or to yourself.
- Listen to music as you walk.
- Use a metronome.
To help yourself when you freeze, try stepping over something such as:
- a person's foot
- a rolled up newspaper
- an umbrella
Try the following process if you freeze:
- Move your weight to one leg.
- Step forward with the other foot.
- Say 'ready, steady, go.'
Planning your actions when you freeze can help you get moving again. Remember the following:
- Stop. Calm yourself and take a breath.
- Think. What do you want to do?
- Plan. How are you going to do it?
- Do. Complete the task or movement.
Imagining the action you want to take can make it easier to do. Try the following things:
- Imagine your action.
- Say '1, 2, 3 stand.'
- Stand and move forward.