About First Steps
First Steps has been developed with people with Parkinson’s, and is delivered by volunteer hosts who also live with the condition.
The programme will help you take the first steps in processing your diagnosis, find out what information and support is available, and start living well with Parkinson’s.
We hope that at the end of the programme you will feel more knowledgeable, supported and positive in facing the future.
A diagnosis of Parkinson's has an impact on family and friends, as well as the person with Parkinson's, so we welcome a family member or friend to take part with you.
If you're in the early stages of processing your diagnosis, and don't yet know how Parkinson's UK and health professionals can support you to live well with Parkinson's, then this programme is for you.
You might also benefit if you don't know where to start with getting active, or are wondering how to get more physical activity into your daily routine and stay motivated.
The programme provides you with the opportunity to meet other people who have been affected by a new diagnosis of Parkinson's, and their family and friends.
First Steps is a structured group programme hosted by people with Parkinson's. You'll be joined by 8 to 10 other people living with Parkinson's. Some people take part with a family member or friend, but you don't have to.
You'll have the opportunity to ask questions, share experiences, take part in group discussions and hear from other people in a similar situation.
The programme is run over 4 3-hour sessions via Zoom. Sessions 1 and 2 take place over 1 week or weekend, and sessions 3 and 4 take place 4 to 6 weeks later. You'll have regular breaks throughout each session.
To join a programme, you'll need access to a device with a webcam and a reliable internet connection. If you don't feel confident using Zoom, please don't worry. We can offer support in how to get started and use all the key features.
Sessions 1 and 2:
- processing your diagnosis
- facts about Parkinson's
- accessing the right professionals to help you manage your condition and your symptoms
- the support that Parkinson's UK can offer you
- the importance of physical activity and staying active in managing Parkinson's
Sessions 3 and 4, which follow up 4 to 6 weeks later:
- a review of how you've been getting on since the first 2 sessions, the activities you've taken up, and an opportunity to share any successes or challenges
- a separate group discussion for people living with Parkinson’s and a separate group discussion for family members and friends
- the rights and practicalities around living with Parkinson’s, such as employment, driving and prescriptions
- living positively with Parkinson’s, tips for coping on difficult days, and the support options available to you and your family members or friends
Does this sound like it's for you?
There are 4 online sessions in the programme, with a 4 to 6 week gap between sessions 2 and 3, so please make sure you can commit to the 4 dates in each group before booking.
Each session runs from 1pm to 4pm
- Tuesday 19 October
- Friday 22 October
- Tuesday 16 November
- Friday 19 November
Unfortunately, this group has been cancelled. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Each session runs from 6.30pm to 9.30pm
- Tuesday 26 October
- Friday 29 October
- Tuesday 23 November
- Friday 26 November
Each session runs from 10am to 1pm
- Monday 1 November
- Thursday 4 November
- Monday 13 December
- Thursday 16 December
Each session runs from 1pm to 4pm
- Tuesday 9 November
- Friday 12 November
- Tuesday 7 December
- Friday 10 December
"I don't feel so alone or overwhelmed any more."