Hero image

What care should I be getting?

You may be wondering what sort of care and support you should be getting if you've been diagnosed with Parkinson's.

Your multidisciplinary team

There are a range of health and social care professionals who can help people affected by Parkinson's - offering essential services, practical help and general advice.

For you to get the best care for Parkinson's, health and social care professionals from different teams need to work together. This is called a multidisciplinary team.

Is there a certain standard of care I should expect?

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) advises the NHS in England and Wales on the most effective treatment and care. There are similar guidelines in Scotland called the SIGN guidelines.

The NICE and SIGN guidance on Parkinson's advises the NHS on what it should do to diagnose and treat Parkinson's, whether someone with Parkinson's is at home, in hospital or in a care home.

If your care doesn't meet these standards, ask your GP, specialist or Parkinson's nurse why.

Find out more about recommendations in the NICE and SIGN guidance on Parkinson's.

Helpline and local advisers

Our helpline and Parkinson's local advisers are here to answer any questions you have about the care you should be getting for Parkinson's.

Call us on 0808 800 0303.

Help us to make social care fair

Find out how we can work together to improve social care for people with Parkinson's.