Making social care fair
We're fighting to make local authorities and the Department of Health do more to make sure social care is accessible and easy to claim.
What is social care?
Social care for people with Parkinson's can include:
- personal care
- help in the home
- aids to stay independent
- supportive environments such as day centres and residential care homes
It can also include support for carers, to help them take a break from their caring responsibilities.
The Care Act aims to help people with Parkinson's and their families in England receive fair access to social care and support when they need it.
How is social care letting people with Parkinson's down?
Our 'Caring about Parkinson's' research asked people with Parkinson's, carers and Parkinson's local advisers how the social care system is working for them. It found that:
- People with Parkinson's and their carers in England aren’t aware of their local council's information about social care, or even how to ask them for an assessment.
- Parkinson's local advisers are concerned about the knowledge and understanding of Parkinson's among council staff who assess whether someone should receive social care.
- Around two thirds of local authorities that took part in our research didn't collect data about people with Parkinson's they had assessed.
Read the research
What can you do to make social care fair in your area?
There are some simple things councils can do to make social care fair for people with Parkinson's, like making information about care easy to access and keeping in touch with their local Parkinson's group.
- send a letter to your local council about our social care campaign
- meet your councillor and ask them to do more to support people with Parkinson's
Our social care campaigns toolkit (pdf, 460KB) includes a step-by-step guide on how to run a local campaign, templates for writing to your councillor, top tips and helpful contacts.
If you'd like more information or support on building a local social care campaign, please contact us on 0207 963 9349 or email [email protected].
Take action to make social care fair
Ask your council to make social care fair for people with Parkinson's.
Make social care fair in your area
Download our guide to campaigning for better social care where you live.
Search for support tailored to you
We'll help you find the support you need.
From Parkinson's local advisers and our helpline, to self-management groups and Parkinson's nurses, we have the right support for you.
Find support where you are - just enter your postcode.
Caring for someone with Parkinson's?
Do you help care or support a partner, friend or family member with Parkinson's? We're here for you too.
Share the support you need as a carer
We want to make sure changes to the Care Act fully support carers of people with Parkinson's in England. Help our campaign by telling us about your caring experience.
Join our Campaigns Network
You can make a difference to the lives of people with Parkinson's - join our Campaigns Network today.