Parkinson's to be discussed at party conferences
Parkinson's UK will be attending 3 of the UK party conferences to raise awareness of the issues that matter most to you.
Over the coming weeks, we will be present at the following party conferences:
- Liberal Democrats - 16-19 September, Bournemouth
- Labour - 23-27 September, Brighton
- Conservatives - 1-4 October, Manchester
As ever, we'll be there with supporters who are affected by the condition so that they can talk to the law makers of the UK about their experiences.
We want to increase MPs' understanding of the condition, raise awareness of the charity and, crucially, persuade politicians to take action on some of the issues that matter to you.
The crucial issues we want MPs to take action on include:
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - we are asking MPs to help stop the stressful, pointless and expensive reassessment of people with Parkinson's who are already on the highest rates of the support, and address problems with the eligibility criteria, assessor knowledge and decision-making processes for PIP.
- Mental Health - we are asking MPs to commit to help us promote the recommendations that will come from the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Parkinson's inquiry into mental health support for people with Parkinson's who experience anxiety and/or depression. Parkinson's UK provides the secretariat to the group.
- NHS Continuing Healthcare (England only) - we are asking MPs for constituencies in England to encourage parliament to investigate issues identified with this vital support as a matter of urgency, so that we can end the postcode lottery of eligibility and speed of access to this urgent care.
We are grateful to the hundreds of supporters who emailed their MPs, as a result of which we now have nearly 40 meetings set up across all 3 conferences, and spill-over meetings to take place in parliament after conference season has ended.
Across the UK
We continue to raise the needs and interests of people affected by Parkinson's in the nations of the UK through our work with assembly members in Wales, members of the legislative assembly in Northern Ireland and members of the Scottish parliament.
Follow us at the conferences
To keep up to date with how our meetings are going please follow the tweets of Natasha Burgess, Senior Parliamentary and Public Affairs Advisor @burgessimo.
Campaign with us
If you'd like to campaign with us throughout the year, please join our campaigns network for regular updates and ways to take part in our work.