Living well with Parkinson's this Christmas
For many people with Parkinson's, Christmas can be an overwhelming time - with limited medical support, a rush of visitors and busy shops.
To help ease the stress, we've put together a few tips to help make this Christmas and New Year as easy and enjoyable as possible.
Planning ahead can help make your festive season run smoothly.
- Make sure you have enough of your medication for the whole of the holiday period. If you're running low, remember to double check the Christmas opening hours of your pharmacist or GP.
- If there's any extra work to be done, share this among family and friends.
- If you have home care, or live in a residential or nursing home, it's important to make sure the carers are aware of your plans and needs over the holiday period.
We all often over-indulge during the holiday period. Some people with Parkinson's may find that high protein meals can reduce the effectiveness of levodopa-based medication. Taking your medication half an hour before you eat can often help.
There will always be help available if you become ill over the holiday period, but the opening hours of your local services may be different to normal.
If you do become ill, your GP surgery will be running an out-of-hours service.
If you need to speak to someone urgently, please contact:
- NHS (England) - 111
- NHS Direct (Wales) - 0845 46 47
- NHS 24 (Scotland) - 111
- If you live in Northern Ireland please call your out-of-hours GP service or 999
- Samaritans (UK-wide) - 116 123
PARKINSON'S UK helpline at CHRISTMAS
Our free helpline 0808 800 0303 will be open at limited times over the Christmas period.
We can be very busy during this time, so our main focus will be on dealing with medical enquiries as these are the greatest priority for people with Parkinson's.
Helpline Christmas opening hours
- Monday 24 December - 9am-12.30pm
- Tuesday 25 December - closed
- Wednesday 26 December - closed
- Thursday 27 December - 10am-2pm
- Friday 28 December - 10am-2pm
- Saturday 29 December - closed
- Sunday 30 December - closed
- Monday 31 December - 10am-2pm
- Tuesday 1 January - closed
- Wednesday 2 January - 9am-7pm (back to normal)
We wish you a very happy and peaceful break and send our best wishes for the New Year.
Get your Parkinson's UK Christmas cards now, before they sell out!