Excellence Network Awards
The Excellence Network Awards recognise outstanding health and social care services for people affected by Parkinson's.
The 2019 Awards ceremony formed part of the first UK Parkinson’s Excellence Network conference.
People with Parkinson's were invited to nominate teams they had received excellent care from. Services that work with people with Parkinson's could also enter themselves for an award.
2019 Award Winners
- Coventry and Warwickshire Regional Parkinson's Service in liaison with the Myton and Mary-Ann Evans Hospices
- Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapy service for people with Parkinson's based at the Royal Berkshire Hospital
- Acute Parkinson's team based within the University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust in Derriford
2019 Highly commended services
- Specialist Parkinson's team at Stobhill Day Hospital
- Isle of Man Parkinson's Team
- Parkinson's Advanced Symptoms Unit at South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
All the services selected as finalists were able to demonstrate all or most of the following criteria:
- put the person at the centre of everything they do
- link people to the right professionals to address their specific needs
- work with other services to make sure care is integrated and joined-up
- ensure people get the information they need at the right time, from diagnosis onwards
- listen to and use feedback from people affected by Parkinson's to make sure services are focused on the people using them
- support people to take control so they make the most of their life with Parkinson's
- use evidence and education to improve standards of care
- support people to get involved in research
- share their good practice with others so it can be replicated elsewhere
Who was on the judging panel?
The judging panel was made up of professionals with leadership roles in the Excellence Network, Parkinson's UK staff members and people affected by Parkinson's.
What were the judging criteria?
Entries were assessed on how they delivered the quality criteria the Excellence Network believes should be standard throughout the UK.
All entries were judged against the following:
- demonstration of a clear link between issue, service provision and impact - evidence of an issue being addressed by the service and of tangible differences being experienced by the people using the service, with examples of feedback
- evidence that the input of people affected by Parkinson's has been critical to the development and implementation of the service or initiative
- consideration and insight into how the service's great practice has been or could be replicated more widely. This might include making tools more widely available or joint working with other services
2019 Awards timeline
- Deadline for nominations was 31 January 2019.
- Deadline for entries was 28 February 2019.
- Judging took place in March 2019 with finalists contacted by the end of that month
- The Excellence Network Awards ceremony took place at the first Excellence Network Conference on 16 May 2019.
How can I be part of the next Excellence Network Awards?
Sign up for the Excellence Network newsletter to hear the latest Excellence Network awards updates.