This free online course from Parkinson's UK and the Open University offers around 10 hours of learning time for professionals with a good understanding of Parkinson's.
What participants will learn
Having completed the course, participants will be able to:
- understand the importance of falls and fracture prevention in Parkinson's
- determine the general and Parkinson's-specific risk factors that can lead to falls
- understand the consequences of a fall, particularly the sequelae of hip fracture
- understand the nature of osteoporosis and identify the particular contributors to osteoporosis in Parkinson's
- use FRAX and QFracture risk assessment tools appropriately to determine osteoporosis risk in Parkinson's
- interpret the osteoporosis risk within the current NOGG treatment guidance and understand the limitations of this guidance in Parkinson's
- devise a management plan for a person with Parkinson's according to the algorithm provided
- describe the treatment options for osteoporosis, the main side effects, strengths and limitations of each drug class in Parkinson's
How does it work?
This course has been designed for professionals, such as Parkinson’s specialist nurses and other clinicians, who work as part of the specialist team and have a good understanding of the condition. This course is not suitable for professionals with a limited understanding of Parkinson’s.
The course is located on the Open University's OpenLearn Create website. You will work through it online at a pace that suits you.
You will have an opportunity to reflect on your practice. Once you have completed the course, you will earn a digital badge and Statement of participation.
Who is the course for?
This course has been designed for professionals, such as Parkinson's specialist nurses and other clinicians, who provide clinical input for people with Parkinson's in outpatient and inpatient settings. Its purpose is to enhance your understanding and recognition of bone health issues in Parkinson's and to guide you in assessing and managing the increased fracture risks associated with the condition.
This course is not suitable for professionals with a limited understanding of Parkinson's.
Parkinson's UK offers this course for free.
Particular thanks and appreciation go to the J. Macdonald Menzies Trust, which provided the funding to enable the development of this learning programme and this course.
How to apply
- Go to the OpenLearn Create Parkinson’s: managing bone health and fracture risk page.
- Register with the OpenLearn Create site by clicking on 'sign up/sign in' at the top right of the screen.
- When you have registered, click 'return to the page you were on' or click on the course link again from here.
- Click on the ‘enrol’ button.
- Each time you go back to work on the course remember to sign in.