Module 2: How does Parkinson's UK support people?
Discover how Parkinson's UK is improving life for people living with the condition in this module - and how volunteers are helping.
Welcome to Module 2
Parkinson's UK volunteer Anne explains what Module 2 is all about.
What you'll learn
Why did you choose to volunteer for Parkinson's UK?
That's a question people might ask when you're volunteering.
It's important you know about what we do and why, and how we plan to find a cure for Parkinson's. This will help you understand, and explain to others, how your role is vital to achieving our vision and how it improves life for people living with Parkinson's.
At the end of this module, you can expect to be able to:
- explain the vision and values of Parkinson's UK
- identify how our 5-year strategy reflects our vision and values
- understand ways that staff and volunteers are working together to achieve the charity's strategic goals
- explain how your role is supporting and/or improving life for people affected by Parkinson's
- describe some of Parkinson's UK's achievements
Task 1: Our vision and values
Our values and vision guide our work and to achieve our ultimate ambition, we need to work together. As a new volunteer, we need your support to make our plans a reality.
Read our vision and values below. Once you've read them, make a few bullet point notes about how your volunteer role contributes to our vision. If you're unsure, ask your staff contact next time you speak to him/her.
You'll spot more examples of our values in action throughout this induction and in your volunteering work with Parkinson's UK.
Our vision and values
The hopes and views of people affected by Parkinson's helped us identify our clear vision for the future - to find a cure and improve life for everyone affected by Parkinson's.
We listen: Everything we do is based on the experiences of people affected by Parkinson's.
We unite: We bring everyone together behind one shared vision.
We inspire: Our passion and determination inspire those around us.
We innovate: We are forward-thinking, always seeking to improve.
We're inclusive: We reach out to the whole Parkinson's community.
We focus: We deliver results and make the most of our resources.
Task 2: Our strategy
The 2015-2019 strategy for Parkinson's sets out the steps Parkinson's UK will take to transform people's lives.
Watch this 6-minute film about our strategy. Can you see how our values and vision have helped us decide what our next priorities are?
Task 3: Volunteer clues
From taking photos at events to reviewing research funding applications, our volunteers do all sorts of things to improve the lives of people with Parkinson's.
Can you guess the volunteer role from the pictures in the slides below? Click through after each picture to find out if you're right.
Task 4: Sharing our achievements
It's so important that you understand what Parkinson's UK does and what the charity has achieved. Then you can talk knowledgeably about our work to people you meet as a volunteer.
Read the 10 achievements in the slides below. Think about which of them you could mention if different people asked you, and read our suggestions.
Module 2: Top tips
- Like Parkinson's UK on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to keep up to date with the latest news. You can also watch our videos on YouTube and find photos from our events on Flickr.
- Visit the How we're performing and What we do sections of our website for more information about what Parkinson's UK is doing and the people you are supporting.
- Become a member of Parkinson's UK for £4 a year. You'll receive The Parkinson magazine which has all the latest news about what the charity is doing.
- Join the mailing list for Progress, our free twice-yearly magazine about the latest research into Parkinson's.
- Sign up to our Research Support Network to receive regular emails about how to get involved in Parkinson's research.
- Join our Campaigns Network to receive regular updates about our campaigning work and how you can get involved.