Understanding Parkinson's for health and social care staff (Excellence Network)
This credit-rated learning programme is for health and social care professionals in Scotland and across the rest of the UK who want to develop their understanding of Parkinson's.
Cascade learning programme
This award-winning programme is for all staff working in residential, respite, day care, home care or health settings across the UK who want to develop their understanding of Parkinson's.
This Facilitator Course is credit rated by One Awards, leading to 2 credit points at level 3 throughout the UK.
How does it work?
We will train nominated staff from your organisation to facilitate the programme in-house, so they can improve knowledge and confidence among all staff to provide quality care for people with Parkinson's.
We'll support and mentor facilitators throughout the learning programme and assess and verify as part of our quality assurance process.
What will participants learn?
Facilitators will be able to teach their participating colleagues about:
- the common signs, symptoms and progression of Parkinson's
- the impact Parkinson's can have on the person with the condition and those around them
- the processes, procedures, methods, techniques and services used to manage Parkinson's
- the issues, side effects and related procedures commonly associated with Parkinson's medication
- the communication and cognitive challenges associated with Parkinson's, their impact and ways to deal with them
The programme includes 4 learning sessions and 1 review and revision session. Participants will be given a guide to the programme, a workbook for each session and a resource book to support their learning. Learning is assessed at the end of the learning programme and successful participants will gain credits from SQA.
What qualifications will participants earn?
The Learning Programme is credit-rated by the Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA) , leading to 2 credit points at level 6 on the Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework (SCQF),and a certificate from Parkinson's UK .
Results from 2017 are impressive with a 99% pass rate.
Who is the course for?
Health and social care professionals working in residential, respite, day care, home care or health settings.
There is a £20 certification fee for Facilitators and a late cancellation fee applies.
Facilitator training dates 2018
- 15 and 16 January - Huddersfield
- 27 and 28 February - West Glasgow
- 8 and 9 March - Gloucester
- 13 and 14 March - Northern Ireland
- 17 and 18 April - Edgbaston
- 8 and 9 May - Devon
- 23 and 24 May - Bristol
- 31 May and 1 June - Essex Council
- 6 and 7 June - Aylesbury
- 6 and 7 June - Perth
- 29 and 30 August - Central Scotland
- 17 and 18 September - Southport
- 17 and 18 October - Norwich
- 20 and 21 November - Co. Londonderry
Already signed up?
If you're taking part in the programme, view extra resources.