Unjustifird, Extreme Hunger Feelings

Can anyone relate to this, please?

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's in January 2012 and was confirmed by a DAT scan later the same year. My doctors have told me that I am doing very well so far.

Through most of my adult life, if I had a tiring or stressful day at work, I experienced tiring physical symptoms very similar to, but not quite the same as extreme hunger. For some reason we called them “the shakes” although they never made me shake! I always quickly remedied how I felt by eating chocolate. Everyone said it sounded like a sugar drop and that I might be diabetic. I experienced these symptoms until last year when I was able to say to my wife that I was free of them.

I spoke too soon as this year they have returned, occurring much more frequently (about 3 times a day), now independently of the kind of day I am having. The hunger-like feeling is now extremely intense and often occurs even just an hour after a good sized meal. They never occur before 11.30 am and always bring with them Parkinson's like feelings in my legs which hamper walking (my legs and walking are always good during each morning). The hunger feelings and legs can sometimes come with stomach wind, drowsiness, mild stress and sometimes even shortage of breath (presumably linked to the stress). They may not sound too bad considering all that Parkinson's can throw at us, but they are very unpleasant to experience. It is as if only I could get rid of these feelings, I could feel healthy again.

I try to resist satisfying the feelings by eating (my weight is very slowly increasing anyway) and I certainly no longer use the chocolate remedy!

I have tested my blood during these feelings (my wife is diabetic) and my blood sugar figures are normal. My doctor has confirmed that I am not diabetic.

Could it be that my hunger hormone, Ghrelin, is playing tricks on me?

My Parkinson's related medication is Sinemet Plus 25mg/100mg 4 times a day, Sinemet 12.5mg/50mg 3 times a day, Sinemet CR 50mg/200mg one at night, Venlafaxine 75mg twice daily, Solifenacin 5mg one daily.

Thank You
John

hubby got Parkie and one of his meds, Pregabalin has made him very hungry indeed. He was on the patch and he had chocolate cravings like never before. Needed chocolates from the very minute he got up.

So I don't know what other meds you are on, but I am positive at least one of them triggers hunger.

We tried to cut down on Pregabalin and all hell broke loose, So currently back on old dose and trying to figure a way out.

Chocolate  24/7 here. Apparently it releases the same feel good factor as dopamine? In that case, OH should be free of P as they eat chocolate all day. I find the evidence everywhere.

Hi, I am having this exact problem! The only difference is time of day. I see that you posted this a while back so I was wondering if you ever found out what the problem was or found a solution. I am not taking any meds so I know it isn’t that.