Does being married give your partner more say in your care

This question is aimed at anyone who's caring for, or being cared by, their spouse/partner.

I've been with my partner for over 15 years but we're not married. Would he have more say about my care if we were? I'm talking about in the future when I might need help.

For example, if I had to go to hospital, would he have the right to know about my treatment, or be able to make any decisions on my behalf, if we weren't married?

Bottom line is, I suppose, would it be easier for him if he was my husband, or doesn't it matter these days?

Hi Tabby cat

On admission to hospital you can nominate anybody as next of kin, so no probs with giving partners name. Did this last year when my partner was admitted via A&E.

All consultants I have seen have been keen to include him in discussions and my decisions. Not sure how far this would go, e.g.. If life threatening treatment needed, but in absence of any one else, I assume he would be able to take responsibility.

On lighter note, it gets quite funny when he is referred to as Mr (my surname) And I get called Mrs (his surname). We still can't  get used to this after being together for thirteen years.

S

To add to what Supa has said; you could also complete an Advance Decision where you nominate a proxy. Get it signed by your GP, and it is free so a lot cheaper than doing the lasting power of attorney concerning health matters.

My Mum completed an Advance Decision and it gave me guidelines to what she wanted and also let the Drs know that she wanted me to speak out on her behalf, when she wasn't able to tell them herself what she wanted.

Thanks Supa and Keld.

Looks like we might be calling off the wedding then.lol