Research Involvement Awards
Research Involvement Awards provide expert support for Parkinson's researchers to carry out Patient and Public Involvement (PPI).
Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) can be a challenge - especially if you've never done it before or your research is lab-based.
Hands-on support from the Parkinson's UK Involvement team can make a huge difference, and you can access it by applying for a Research Involvement Award.
Watch our short film to hear from researchers about the benefits of involving people with Parkinson's in their work.
What does a Research Involvement Award provide?
Successful applicants will receive:
1) Hands-on support in developing appropriate patient and public involvement activities to meet the specific needs of the research, including;
- identifying who to involve
- selecting appropriate methods of involvement
- learning how to work with PPI contributors
- feeding back and maintaining relationships
2) Facilitation of the first meeting with PPI contributors, including;
- recruiting PPI contributors
- chairing and facilitating the meeting on the day
- ensuring the meeting is accessible to people affected by Parkinson's
Where funds for supporting PPI are not available to the applicant, Parkinson's UK will cover the cost of the first meeting.
Who can apply?
Awards are tenable at a UK university, NHS Trust, statutory social care organisation or other research institution. Research projects based outside the UK will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applications are invited from researchers:
- working across all fields of Parkinson's research, including those new to Parkinson's research
- at any stage of their research project, including when disseminating and implementing research findings
To find out more about what funding can cover and eligibility requirements, please read Research Involvement Award - Information for applicants (PDF, 281KB)
How to apply
Applications may be submitted at any time. Please be aware that a limited number of applications can be accepted per quarter.
We expect funding decisions to be made within 4 weeks of receiving an application.
To request an application form, or to discuss your idea for a Research Involvement Award, please contact the research team at [email protected].
Get to grips with PPI
Find more information and resources to help you with Patient and Public Involvement (PPI).