Back to top

Home adaptations

A home adaptation may make your daily life with Parkinson's a little more comfortable.

Before making any adaptations it's important for people with Parkinson's to get expert advice.

The first person to contact about any home adaptation work is an occupational therapist. They can assess the problems you're having and suggest solutions, which may include adaptations.

Home adaptation for independent living

Home adaptations can range from small adaptations to major building work. They can include the following:

  • Rails to doorways and stairs
  • Half steps
  • Ramps
  • Widening of doorways
  • Levelling of threshold strips between rooms
  • Stair lifts
  • Replacement of bath with shower
  • Access to bedroom and/or bathroom
  • Chair or bed raisers

Paying for home adaptations

Advice and intervention provided by an NHS health and social services occupational therapist is free of charge.

There is a range of basic items of equipment and some minor home adaptations to aid independence and safety. This is also available free of charge.

Payments for major home adaptations can be subject to means testing.

Useful contacts

The organisations below can provide information and help on mobility equipment and disability aids for people with Parkinson's.

British Red Cross

Some local Red Cross groups run loan services for some types of equipment.

Care and Repair England

Care and Repair aims to improve the housing and living conditions of older and disabled people in England.

They can give information on repairs, adaptations, funding and finding a reliable builder or tradesman.

Charity Search

Charity Search provides information on sources of funding for older people from a variety of charitable sources.

Citizens Advice

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can offer help, advice and information on a whole range of subjects, like benefits, funding, allowances and much more.

Disabled Living Foundation

The Disabled Living Foundation is a national charity that provides free, impartial advice about all types of disability aids.

Directory of Social Change

The Directory of Social Change produces A Guide to Grants for Individuals in Need, a list of organisations that will give grants and funding.

The UK Government's digital service for people in England and Wales. It contains useful information, help and advice about disabled living.


Turn2us may be able to provide financial help with making adaptations to your home and grant funding for people affected by Parkinson's.