Devices, apps and living aids for Parkinson's
We’re creating the first ever dedicated app and device library for people with Parkinson's.
Devices, apps and living aids are becoming increasingly important for people living with Parkinson's in the day to day management of their condition, and for health and social care professionals involved in their care.
We’re working with technology testing house Our Mobile Health and a panel of people living with the condition to create a list of the best and most useful apps and devices on the market. Once created, this list and our on-line shop selling a range of specialist living aids will help people living with Parkinson’s take back control.
Our policy for support
Parkinson's UK can offer in-house guidance and input from people affected by Parkinson’s throughout the cycle of development of devices, apps and living aids. This includes research support and a process for assessment and evaluation of products for inclusion on our 'Safe to Suggest' list or a resource list for health and social care professionals. We also have an approval process for the sale of products through our on-line shop.
We do not offer help with market research on products already available in the market, and we do not assist with promotion for sale of products (unless they have gone through our approval process for sale through our own online shop).
How does it work?
All queries received regarding support for devices/apps/living aids should be sent via one of the following routes:
- Developers of devices, apps and living aids who want support on concept, design and development, testing and validation, product review and dissemination of information, or companies who want their product to be reviewed for our 'safe to suggest' list or 'Excellence Network Resource' list should contact Parkinson's UK via our dedicated inbox [email protected]. This inbox is managed by our Digital Strategist Consultant.
- For any device/app/living aid which is on (or should be on) the pathway to registration as a medical device it is likely that the request for support will be allocated to the Parkinson's UK Research Support Team. More information can be found in the Research Support Policy.
- Queries regarding sale of a consumer ready product in our on-line shop or demonstration of a product at a Parkinson's UK local group should be directed to our Product Manager.
Each request for support is reviewed by the Parkinson's UK devices, apps and living aids team. For requests regarding Parkinson's UK support for use of a marketed product we may recommend referral to our external quality assessment partner to ensure it meets our required standards before offering in-house support for evaluation by people living with Parkinson's.
A single point of contact within the charity will be provided to the developer or company marketing a product so that there is continuity in communication.
How we provide support is at the discretion of Parkinson's UK. We will have a written record, agreed by both parties, outlining the support to be provided (the format of this will be proportional to the level of support agreed).
Contacting local groups
We request that all initial contacts regarding development, testing, demonstrating and sales of devices apps and living aids are made via our dedicated inbox and that our local groups are not contacted directly by companies or product developers at this stage. Local groups should refer any such direct contacts to the dedicated inbox or to an individual member of the Parkinson's UK team. If the request for support is not taken further by the team the option remains for individual members of local groups to decide to be involved in e.g. in usability testing. It is the responsibility of the organisation undertaking any activity with local group members to ensure that required ethical and governance standards are complied with. It is a requirement of Parkinson's UK that there is no direct marketing of products through local groups without consulting our Product Manager.
Parkinson's UK staff involvement
Any request for Parkinson's UK staff to play a formal role in supporting a project should be discussed with the relevant Departmental Director at an early stage in the planning process.
The developers and host institution or company are responsible for ensuring adherence to all relevant governance requirements including regulatory requirements where applicable. For more information see our full policy.
If you would like to become part of our technology testing panel you can find out more and apply online.
- Questionnaire for daily living aids (Word, 199KB)
- Questionnaire for devices and technology (Word, 199KB)
For all other queries please contact us via [email protected].