Squalamine

What do you know about squalamine as a therapeutic agent for Parkinsons Disease?

Never hear of it Josea, any further info please........

Sheila

Perni M, et al. A natural product inhibits the initiation of α-synuclein aggregation and suppresses its toxicity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2017;114:E1009–E1017. [PubMed] [Ref list].
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017 Feb 7; 114(6): 1223–1225.
Published online 2017 Jan 26. doi:  10.1073/pnas.1620159114

What??? None the wiser............

SIGNIFICANCE
Parkinson’s disease is characterized by the presence in brain tissues of aberrant aggregates primarily formed by the protein α-synuclein. It has been difficult, however, to identify compounds capable of preventing the formation of such deposits because of the complexity of the aggregation process of α-synuclein. By exploiting recently developed highly quantitative in vitro assays, we identify a compound, squalamine, that blocks α-synuclein aggregation, and characterize its mode of action. Our results show that squalamine, by competing with α-synuclein for binding lipid membranes, specifically inhibits the initiation of the aggregation process of α-synuclein and abolishes the toxicity of α-synuclein oligomers in neuronal cells and in an animal model of Parkinson’s disease.

Keywords: Parkinson’s disease, protein aggregation, amyloid formation, toxic oligomers, drug development

Source/Reference:

Perni M, et al. A natural product inhibits the initiation of α-synuclein aggregation and suppresses its toxicity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2017;114:E1009–E1017. [PubMed] [Ref list].
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017 Feb 7; 114(6): 1223–1225.
Published online 2017 Jan 26. doi:  10.1073/pnas.1620159114

sheffin,

Don't feed a possible troll. I have reported their posts. Seems like a copy and paste thing to me. If I wrong, I will eat my words and apologise.

Hi All,

There is some information on the website about the potential effects of squalamine, although as stated in the article research is in the very early stages: 

https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/news/natural-molecule-promise-parkinsons-discovered

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks!

Do you think taking Squalamine supplements by mouth is worth the risk?

What are the expected risks of taking Squalamine supplements?

Thanks for that Benji didn't know what to make of it anyway!

Tom,

Do you think taking Squalamine supplement* by mouth is worth the risk?

What are the expected risks of taking Squalamine supplement*?

What do you know about squalamine* (capsules by mouth) as a disease modifying, not palliative as levodopa, therapeutic agent for Parkinson’s Disease?

*minimally processed whole dogfish shark liver

Thanks, Josea

Josea,

Thank you for the information.  It's good to see information referenced to source.  I found it helpful, I often read research papers on the net and am interested in toxicity issues in particular with regard to some of the medications prescribed for PD, in particular levodopa.  

Keep posting.

I am interested also in oxidative stress, and have always tried trying to avoid levopoda but recently gave in taking 25/100 twice a day now added to 4mg ropinerole , 1mg Azilect.  diagnosed 2008.

My plan is to gain more knowledge on diet exercise and try and strengthen /build muscles as pain has led to periods of inactivity.  pain relief sorted so hopefully be fitter soon.  

Hope you continue to do well, I see you are medication free after 10yrs , a woman who attends same hospital clinic as myself has just started taking medication after 15yrs. I know some people can cope without meds , but of course PD is different for everyone.  

Take Care x

Thanks!

Anything on Squalamine?

Your post was interesting and have looked at research articles, yet to decide.

Good luck, with the treatment plan you choose.  It's our lives, our bodies only right we should have a say.

Take Care 

I’m making up my mind whether to take the capsules of the liver of the dogfish shark by mouth or not. 

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/a-natural-compound-can-block-the-formation-of-toxins-associated-with-parkinsons-disease

Seems to be a legit enquiry.

Apparently Squalamine is classed as a steroid.

https://scienceofparkinsons.com/2017/01/18/the-dogfish-solution-for-parkinsons/

Some steroids are linked with triggering type 2 diabetes, and it is not clear if this particular one is safe or not.

Also.depending on how this is extracted, there may be exposure to mercury if it comes from the shark liver or spleen.  Make sure the supplement comes from  reputable supplier.

Dear Jamoc, Sheffin, Benji, Tom, Teehee,

My name is Michele Perni and I am one of the authors of the study Jamoc referred to. Please allow me to provide some more information on the squalamine compound and its applications (I just spotted this Forum); .

For your further information there is a clinical study, in stage 2a currently under completion in the States.

The doctors that are leading it, Michael Zasloff and Denise Barbut, are planning to expand a stage 2b to Canada and possibly UK in the next year. You can found more details here http://enterininc.com.

The NIH in the USA allows to follow the results of this first trial as ENT-01 compound; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03047629; you can follow the progression of the study here and also the clinical data that will be made available at completion of the study.

I also recently spoke with Michael and Denise and they would suggest that the squalamine you can find available online is not the compound designed for clinical studies and human applications and approved by the NIH for testing, so please If you are interested in this, please feel completely free to get in touch with Michael and Denise (http://enterininc.com/contact/); I found them being very human and helpful doctors.

Also feel free to ask me any more informations whenever of any interest. I am not a Clinician, but a Scientist and can try to explain some more on the mechanism of this compound, and give you more details if you would like to know the studies that has been carried out till now in the lab.

I remain at complete disposal,
All The Best,
Michele

(PS please also note that the Squalamine provided in clinical applications is completely synthesized in lab and not extracted directly from the sharks)