Eyesight

hello everybody ...just wondering if anybody here has had there eyesight weakening..for me its seems since i was dx 2yrs may and started meds my eyesight is getting worst quick time ...im 50 soon and up to the start of taking meds i had them tested and my vision was very good ...at the moment i now need glasses to read ..aswell as that they get blurry on and off through the day...any ideals please?..

Hi there,

You know there has been a steady decline with my reading sight which I had never associated with PD.  My optometrist then confirmed that I've started suffering with Dry Eyes which can be linked with PD. 

Here's a link with more info regarding eyesight amongst PD sufferers http://bit.ly/MJFoxOrg

I am currently testing out Multi Focal contact lens as it's so bad now that at work I sometimes have to use a magnifier to read labels etc. They seem to be doing the job thus far so hopefully I've struck gold with them.

Joanie

Hello Smudger

For the first time ever on this forum I recognise and  am  under the hammer, from every problem posted, first smudger, my  eyesight is  failing well I did expect it   this is mainly showing up as  going cross eyed when  on my  laptop  or  when I look at  people  their  heads are on upside down their mouth  is on their fore head or chin and their chin is forming the  forehead, it sounds funny but it is not as it is a  major circuit defect somewhere  so job  to  do  then Smudger, now  on ward

FED

Thanks for the reply Joanie,i had an eyetest 6 months ago , ididnt think i needed them but was given reading glasses and definatly need them now ,ill book up another test to fined out if there has been a noticeble change and let you know, ill check out the websight too ..thanks again...fedexlike2..goodevening ...what do you really see when you look in the mirror?? (;

I sympathise with PWP experiencing eye problems but do wonder if the temptation to blame Parkinsons is influencing them?

Most people over 40 find they need reading glasses and other eye problems like dry eyes are common.

I think it is important to seek advice when health problems emerge but to keep in mind that other ailments do happen and it's not always due to Parkinsons!

GG

Hi,

You will generally find,as per my experience.Both opticians and health professionals(whether G.P or Neuro).Deny any link to failing eyesight and PD.Yet i can say,without a shadow over your eyes of doubt.They are wrong and as usual,are totally short sighted themselves.

Have faith in your own judgement,it is only you yourself that really understands how you yourself ticks.

Titan 

Opticians, GPs and Neuros have had years of training and experience.It is a bit egotistical to just announce you know better and they are wrong.What do you base your certainty on?

I do think the relationship should include the patient's input and knowledge of their own body and treatment should be negotiated...with both being fully informed.

But to dismiss the input totally of professions is as bad as dismissing the patient's.

GG

Thankyou all for your views on this subject.....but post dx with pd and meds which go  with it ,i had my eyes tested and was shown that my eyesight was very good with no problems of deteriation..any other views please?....

My eyesight was affected badly when I was taking Ropinirole. ( I gradually increased to 12mg.) My optician could not believe the changes that took place every 3 months or so. They were not as expected in normal eye deterioration circumstances. As I slowly reduced this medication and came off it altogether, my eyesight returned to it's previous condition. She concluded that the Ropinirole was the cause.....and I totally agree!

Twinks.

In a strange way I would like this drug to lead to severe eye problems....then it might be banned!

No one seems to care that it destroys so many lives by causing impulse control disorders that wreck lives!

GG

Have to agree GG........Ropinirole did nothing for me and caused me so many problems, including the loss of my driving licence for 3 months. Once off this medication, I successfully fought to get it back for another 3 years. 

Twinks.

Hello Twinks...im not jumping the gun ,so to speak ., but how you said about your eyes deteriating so quick leads me to believe that ropinerole is probably the cause ,i think ill read up on it and give my pd doctor a call...nice to know that your eyes adjusted back after..but i do expect/understand what GG commented on that at around my age problems can naturally occure...thankyou both...

sight problems: my husband seemed - sometimes - to have a distortion in his vision of about 30 per cent, so he would see his drink, for instance, in the wrong place and knock it over, and find it difficult to pick up cutlery for the same reason.

his neurologist referred him to the same hospital eye dept, who gave him prescriptions for new glasses, reading and distance. but that didn't really solve the problem. when he went back, they suggested a prism over one lens, but he hated this, because he understood it was a distortion, and his vision actually changes quite markedly over the course of a day. this means that new glasses don't necessarily help. we have had opticians amazed at previous results, saying that someone must have got something wrong, but it can also be that it does change.

his neurologist said that parkinson's could affect eyesight, because brain function can also determine how you see. in that case, new glasses are going to help. it seems to me that there are times when his brainpower is just too stretched, and the quality of vision is affected. at the moment it seems more intermittent than progressive.

he still gets the distortion towards the end of the day, but botox treatment to keep his eyes open seems to have helped with this, too - tho i have no idea why.  

sight problems: my husband seemed - sometimes - to have a distortion in his vision of about 30 per cent, so he would see his drink, for instance, in the wrong place and knock it over, and find it difficult to pick up cutlery for the same reason.

his neurologist referred him to the same hospital eye dept, who gave him prescriptions for new glasses, reading and distance. but that didn't really solve the problem. when he went back, they suggested a prism over one lens, but he hated this, because he understood it was a distortion, and his vision actually changes quite markedly over the course of a day. this means that new glasses don't necessarily help. we have had opticians amazed at previous results, saying that someone must have got something wrong, but it can also be that it does change.

his neurologist said that parkinson's could affect eyesight, because brain function can also determine how you see. in that case, new glasses are going to help. it seems to me that there are times when his brainpower is just too stretched, and the quality of vision is affected. at the moment it seems more intermittent than progressive.

he still gets the distortion towards the end of the day, but botox treatment to keep his eyes open seems to have helped with this, too - tho i have no idea why.  

hello maryanon thanks for your views (pardon the pun) on this subject ,focus of my eyesight does change from time to time ,some times blurred sometimes nearly normal,but like youve said your husband gets distortion towards to end of the day which i experience that too...would be interesting to know why and if its caused by pd or the meds for it ?.