Hi..newbie here 1st time for everything!

Hi everyone, I'm Sarah, first time on a forum. It has been interesting reading such different experiences. I am on here for my father-in-law....he is 77 and his wife is 71 and his full time carer. We live literally 10 doors away and their two other daughters live about half an hour away. My husband tries to help as much as possible but his mum doesn't always keep us all in the loop and will say that they are having 'good days' when they are not and then she struggles. She shouldn't have to be doing this at this age but i think she is still trying to keep her 'husband' and he still wants his dignity if that makes sense :(

It was last year we recognised my father-in-law had the symptoms of Parkinson's and after many cancelled doctors appointments we had it said that yes he has got Parkinson's. Although we haven't been to assessments yet, the mother-in-law keeps cancelling! I'm not sure if she is just scared but she says that he is not having a good day but surely this is more reason to get this put officially on paper to get the help?? I'm now trying to see what help they can get but is this possible without assessments? Does anybody know if they can get assessed at home? He has gone downhill so quickly and its really sad to see. Thanks :)

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your father-in law's situation. I'm sure other members will share their advice and assessment experiences with you.
However, for individual support, please feel free to call our Helpline on 0808 800 0303 for advice.
This resources guide for the newly diagnosed may also be helpful: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/resources-guide-newly-diagnosed-people-parkinsons

Best wishes,

Edwina

Moderation Team

Thats great thank you :)