Tennis

Hi,

I was diagnosed 9 years ago at the age of 34. I've had my ups and downs with PD but I feel, for the moment, quite on top of things. I attribute a large proportion of my well being to good old fashioned exercise. I play tennis pretty much everyday. Even if it's just bashing some balls against a practise board. For me, it seems to tick all the boxes; initiating movement, physical flexibility, balance, cognitive speed, outdoor fresh air, even speech (shouting the score out). As a general note it provides relief for me from thinking about moving to just moving without thinking. Its sociable too (especially doubles). I can escape from the cage that PD wraps around me for a few hours a day and it allows me to keep the cage door open for longer afterwards too.

I have recently moved to Haselmere and love it here. I'm thinking I would like to setup up a tennis group for people with PD. What thoughts? Anyone interested in the idea of it, especially if you are in or near Haslemere...

we can't control the disease yet but we can take control of our symptoms.....

Chris

Hi Chris

I've just come across your post and, like you, have found tennis incredibly beneficial. Unfortunately I live in Leicestershire otherwise I would love to help you set up a group. 

I started playing tennis a few years before I was diagnosed in 2011 at the age of 52, and it would have been so easy to give up at that point, but I carried on going to our local club three times a week. For a long time my condition deteriorated but I battled on with the tennis. Our club is quite healthy and there's always someone there to play doubles with. 

Then, just over a year ago, a few things changed for me. I stopped working, I made an effort to put on weight (I'd lost a lot of weight over the years since being diagnosed without really realising it) and I started taking Madopar, as Mirapexin seemed to be making my condition worse.

I now play tennis nearly every day and my game has slowly got better and better. I even played a few matches for our club in the county league this winter. 

People are commenting on how my game has improved. You don't always have to hit the ball hard, placement and strategy can win you the point.  

Like you say it ticks all the boxes and it's moving without thinking and such a relief from the difficulties I have the rest of the day. I honestly don't know what I would do without tennis, it keeps me going.

Good luck with setting up your group. I hope others will give it a go. 

Best wishes

Jan

Hi Chris

Couldn`t agree more.

Does playing tennis on the Wii count ?.

It certainly helps with my stiffness and depression.

Parkinson`s UK  promotes the use of the Wii for PWP - there are several posts on this forum on the subject.

I play tennis on Wii SPORTS and table tennis on Wii SPORTS RESORT.

I can`t recommend them enough.

Don`t forget to exercise the little grey cells too - I spend a few hours every week with Wii BIG BRAIN ACADEMY and Wii MENSA ACADEMY.