Beginners' square dance courses

There will be beginners' square dance courses starting in September in various towns in the UK (as well as overseas). All lead to Mainstream level or above. As square dancing is so often misrepresented, even by media organisations that ought to know better (even the BBC usually shows examples of how square dancing was done 60 years ago rather than taking the trouble to find out how it's done nowadays), here is a link to a video showing a wheelchair dancer joining in at Plus level with an 'able-bodied' set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpoyo5H5-Tc

All teaching clubs in the UK can be found on www.uksquaredancing.com and are open to dancers aged 16 and over (some clubs will admit younger dancers with parents' permission). The dancing is done to music in duple time at 124-132bpm and the caller can usually tweak the tempo, either using a Goldring/Lenco variable-speed turntable or downloaded music on a laptop. I had a stroke 3 years ago and returned to my square dance club 5 weeks later. I found it very tough but well worthwhile.

If you live in the Nottingham area, Dial A Square in Mapperley are starting their next beginners' course on Monday 26th September and there are taster sessions on 12th and 19th. £4 per week including refreshments. The club meet at Mapperley Community Centre, Woodborough Road, NG3 5GG.