Holiday suggestions

Hi, I am new to the site and I am wondering if anyone could help with suggestions for a much needed holiday. My husband is 75 and has had Parkinson's for 16 years. Over the years we have been lucky enough to get away for breaks abroad and in the UK, but my husband's condition has deteriorated recently after a spell in hospital and his mobility is now very limited. We would love a few days stay in a hotel which caters for people with disabilities, our friends would like to accompany us, they are fully fit, lucky them! Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hi Izzy,

Welcome!

I'm sure other forum users will have some ideas to share, but in the meantime please have a look here: http://bit.ly/1pch06s

In the section 'Useful Contacts for Holiday and Travel' for example, you'll find organisations offering travel accommodation, information and advice for disabled people and those with medical conditions. 

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Ilona (Moderation Team).

PDuk Issue a credit card  sized card, which you can use to inform others you have PD.

I thought it might be useful  to be able to produce this information If you were going abroad, and wanted to use a cafe, taxi etc, 

i got the card translated into French, Spanish and Italian, and hope to do more. Just print he bits you want.

For people with Parkinson's to carry when going abroad, In case of emergencies or when having difficulties with movement or communication.

I have Parkinson's.
I may have a tremor.
I may suddenly be unable to move.
I may be slow or unsteady on my feet.
I may have difficulty speaking or writing.
I can hear and understand you.
Please give me time.

Please seek advice before treating me as I take drugs for my Parkinsons which may interact with other kinds of drugs.
...............................................................................................................

Italian

Per le persone affette da Parkinson, da portare in caso di emergenza o in caso di difficoltà con il movimento e la comunicazione.
Io sono affetto/a da Parkinson.
È possibile che io sia affetto/a da tremori.
È possibile che io sia improvvisamente impossibilitato/a a muovermi.
È possibile che io sia lento/a o instabile sulle gambe.
È possibile che io abbia difficoltà a parlare o scrivere.
Posso sentirvi e capirvi.
Per favore, datemi tempo.

Per favore, cercate aiuto prima di somministrarmi alcun trattamento, dal momento che io prendo medicinali per il Parkinson che potrebbero interagire con altri tipi di medicinali.
............................................................................................................................

French.

La carte dit: Je dois Parkinson.
Je peux avoir un tremblement.
Je peux soudainement incapable de bouger.
Je peux être lent ou instable sur mes pieds.
Je peux avoir de la difficulté à parler ou à écrire.
Je peux entendre et vous comprendre.
S'il vous plaît me donner le temps -

Spanish

La tarjeta dice: tengo Parkinson.
Puedo que tenga un temblor.
De repente yo sea incapaz de moverse.
Puedo ser lento o inestable sobre mis pies.
Puedo que tenga dificultad para hablar o escribir.
Puedo escuchar y entender.
Por favor dame tiempo -

Thank you for that information, that would be helpful especially when travelling abroad, we'll definitely get one of those

Many thanks for sending the link. I've had a quick look and I'm planning to check out some of the websites