Finishing work

I apologise if I'm covering old ground but I am desperate for guidance and advice on my dilemma. 

I was diagnosed with Parkinsons about three and a half years ago. I have continued to work, initially full time, but since the beginning of this year I've been on twenty hours a week. Since diagnosed I've had very little time off sick. Usually it's been related to a bad cold but last year I took time off because I found that the pressure of working full time was getting too much, which led to the part time as a measure to adjust my working routine.

Initially my OH nurse took a lot of interest in my case and I was given a medical assessment last year by the company doctor. However, after the first year the OH nurse appeared to have lost all interest in me and no other attempt has been made to assess if my condition is deteriorating and if it's affecting my work. The annual appraisal system has also failed to highlight what I believe is a slowly deteriorating situation.

I have now reached a point where I feel that I want and need to finish work. Although my movement is still pretty good, the most obvious symptom I have is a bad tremor down my left side, However, I have become lethargic, apathetic, I lack motivation and have lost interest in my job, to mention just a few of the symptoms. Yet, I still don't necessarily want to go sick or feel that I need to, I just want to finish and get on with my life. I believe that my consultant and GP would support me.

Now the issue.

I would like to avoid going down the sickness route if I can avoid it as I would prefer to finish on a specific date, empty my drawers and carry out a proper hand over. If I went sick, especially long term, I do not feel that I could ever return to work and I can imagine a long protracted affair following which I would probably be dismissed on grounds of capability. The advantage, on the other hand, is that I will be paid some sick pay, SSP and eventually pay in lieu of notice. It would also guess be entitled to claim any or any other help that I may be entitled to such as PIP.

The other option is to just hand in my four weeks notice and walk away from it. This option I have been told not to consider at all.

The third option is to do what I have already instigated and that is to discuss with HR the possibility of finishing on a pre determined date with some sort of financial settlement which will avoid the need for the company to jump through all the hoops before dismissing me. The only problem is that the company have offered me a finishing date at the end of December with essentially three months pay in lieu of notice, (not much considering I am on part time) but they want me to hand in my notice which means there is no record of me finishing on medical grounds, which to some degree has set alarm bells ringing.

I have a small company pension which is a 'money purchase' scheme with no ill health benefits. I am unlikely to get much in the way of ESA due to my wife working and another small pension.

Given that I want to avoid going sick can anyone advise on concerns regarding the third option or is the only way  to finish to go long term sick and let the process run it's course? Are there any other options that I have overlooked?

Sorry if the post is long and drawn out but Any advice, suggestions or comments will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Blimey, Flyem, that's a complicated one. It's a mixture of what's best for you financially, and what's best emotionally. And it's quite resonable to think of both.

First off, are you in a union/can you join one easily? That may be your best source of help. otherwise, for detailed assessments of what you might encourage the company to give you, what you might get in benefits, and what other routes might be open to you, get you to a Citizens Advice bureau.

But they can't help with the emotional stuff. i agree with you that you need to feel in control of your own situation. it's traumatic leaving work (I'm having to give a year's notice, but I stil feel bereaved already) and you do need to line up something else, so that you can answer the "what are you going to do" question positively.

Does any of that help, as a stater? I'm sure more knowledgeable people thanme will be along in a moment.

All the best whatever route you take

Semele

You should phone parkinsons uk for advice and there is a lot of advice on this forum.Just a few things from me you WILL get contribution based ESA its based on your NI payments not how much money you have.PIP you will also get, again speak to parkinson uk and get them to send out a support worker to help you fill in the form.

I am sure more posts will follow GOOD LUCK.... Billywhizz

Hi

that is complicated as Semele says.

i also think an appointment for all your options with professional advice is going too be the best financial advice, a parkinsons support worker?, c.a.b or my local disability advice service were excellent in helping me with ESA forms, she filled them out, followed them up and chased the dwp for me.

you can find your local disability advice service here http://www.scope.org.uk/Support/services-directory

Thanks Semele, Billywhizz and sea angler for your quick responses.

If I can address some of the advice and comments mentioned collectively.

I should have joined the union ages ago, I am sure they could have most definitely helped me now. I would feel a bit guilty joining now and expecting them to help me the next day. The local CAB have not helped much. Not the first time I've used them and not the first time I've come away unimpressed. Parkinsons Uk have been helpful but struggling to find local support where I can talk to someone face to face but will keep line of communication open with them as they have the best understanding. Scope is another avenue which I need to try. Lots to think about but feel I need to make a decision sooner rather than later

Regards

I'm I'm the same situation. I am at present doing 12 hrs a week .Finding work becoming difficult as I also have a chronic bad back I am thinking of giving up work. I'm not sure wether to go on long term sick or just give up and claim esa .I will get full sick pay for 12 weeks but I don't know if it's best to just call it quits

Beany you could take your 12 weeks sick,then claim SSP while starting your claim for PIP then ESA. But if you phone Parkinsons UK and speak to a benefits advisor they will help they are very good

Good Luck Billywhizz

Thankyou I claim pip and I am in the process o applying for esa. I see the Dr in a couple weeks so I shall,  see about getting signed off then

Hi i am just going through the same thing.Ive worked for 11 years with PD i have had enough so i am on long term sick,I have had my interview for pip and OH for work. So my next step is i am going to Citizens Advice to see how to finish work on ill healthand what i can claim for. I know how you feel i hope this helps.

From Zo

This is such an important topic! How have things gone Flyem?

Every 3 or 4 months I think that I must change my working hours or start the retirement process. I look into it, explore it and bore everyone with my questions! Then I keep going for a few more months and then the process starts again!

I do not want to go off sick and would like to just slip away - but the system is designed so that actions are only taken after sickness - ie redeployment, work changes etc. Appraisals should be there to monitor conditions and offer changes before you have to force changes - surely cheaper for employers? 

As I struggle through my job, I think that the end is going to be messy and very uncomfortable for me. It already has been to a degree, in that I have had to instigate my role changes and I can see the mistakes I am making,or the corners that I am cutting. These will eventually come out in the wash - but could be stopped with a bit of engagement from managers.   

Has anyone made another career after stopping their main occupation? Did anyone stop work too early or too late? Any one in their 40's retired with advice - how you stopped and what did you do next?

Forest

Hi Forest

Sorry that I did not reply sooner but with the run up to Christmas and all that I have not visited the forum for a few weeks.

Yes, things have moved on just a little. Rather than just hand my notice in or go off long term sick i went down the route of approaching my employer to see if I could negotiate an exit plan that would be beneficial to us both. Given that I have been advised not to just hand my notice in and walk away I suggested an option where I would leave with some financial compensation, however minimal that might be, while the company would avoid the potential administrative burden of dealing with an employee on long term sickness.

From the outset my HR manager was very understanding, although the initial offer that was suggested by the company was quickly withdrawn. I'm half guessing that it might have something to do with the fact that I was suffering from a disability and that they needed to tread very carefully as so how my exit was to be managed as it could backfire on them. Again this is only my view on the situation, the actual reason could be quite different!.

I came in to work last Monday and was advised by my line manager that HR have now come up with another offer but are not able to give me any further information as some of the key individuals involved are away now until after Christmas. So I wont know what that offer is until at least January the 4th.

On a daily basis I do now feel that I struggle to meet my working commitments and obligations, even though part time working for the last twelve months has helped, so I hope that I can draw a line under this by May/June 2016 at the latest, which if necessary will give the company time to recruit and train a replacement for me.

I shall report back in the new year on what is on the table  

hi i went through something similar to this the only difference was i was eventually made redundant.

you will get ESA fit note required from GP your wife's earnings are not relevant i do and my husband is a self employed electrician 

pip you are entitled to now it is not income based can take 6 months plus for claim to go through and it is based on how you are effected by PD on your worse possible days. Do not let them fob you off.

Where are you based? if near me in Lincoln I will do what I can to help/

I was dx three years ago age 47 am now living on ESA and PIP.

applied for 285 jobs as soon as they realise PD not a cat in hells chance I will work again, my story on here just type Karen Missenden into search bar at top on right.

bbxx

Just an update on my situation. By the way Bettyblue I live across the other side of Wales, draw a straight line west of Lincoln until you drop off into the sea any your about there! I did live just north of Lincoln for four years and my son was born in the Lincoln General, just a bit of trivia! 

Negotiations with my employer have proceeded and we hope to have come to a mutual agreement where I will depart on grounds of capability without the drawn out affair of being on long term sick and a small but realistic financial package. I feel that this will give me the most dignified departure that I could hope for which for me was very important. We plan this to happen March/April time.

In terms of benefits, about the only thing I can hope for is contributions based ESA. This will more than likely be at a reduced rate due to me having an occupational pension. I will explore other possibilities but would need advice and have just written to our area Parkinsons support worker.

Regards

flyem

Just a final update on my situation.

Finishing work officially on the 31st of March on grounds of capability due to my deteriorating health condition. Have tried the part time route and that worked ok for the first year, can't make any more adjustments within my working environment, No other job available for which I am qualified capable and competent so happy to call it a day. Leaving with some money in lieu of notice and a small personal pension, but no employer ill health benefits. with Easter next week and some holidays due I'm off anyway until the 31st so that's it.

Everyone is saying that I'm doing the right thing, I just hope I am. 

Thanks for all the help and advice on this topic.

Regards

Flyem

Hi Flyem

I know what you are going through, i've worked with pd for 11 years now its time to finish work not a lot of help. So i went on sick last October on full pay for 6 months now i'm on half pay for 6 months, they won't finish me on ill health because i haven't got a pension with them. So i'm  of to citizens advice cross fingers i get some advice. I know this might not help much but i just thought i would just get in touch because you sound as confused as me. So hope you go on ok.

All the best: ZO

I had to go on a course today; it was all about managing absence at work. Fascinating stuff. Apparently, the way to cut absenteeism is to warn people who have dared to be ill that if they are sick again, they will be the subject of a higher level of intervention related to their absenteeism. At this point, they will be 'incentivised' through the use of targets (which will clearly cure all ailments) but should they not learn the error of their ways and not respond to this approach, they will be subjected to further interventions leading to dismissal. This will be positive for them because it will reduce the stress of constant targets and assessments (so an act of kindness really).
On the tricky subject of those covered by the DDA, the warning was to tread very carefully because tribunals tend to look favourably on them at the moment (though there is hope, it seems, that this unfortunate state of affairs might soon be resolved). It is important to do everything correctly with this particularly troublesome group but not because it is the right thing to do, oh no, it is important to do everything correctly because the business model dictates absolute efficiency and sick people are expensive, so need dispatching as quickly as possible.
Uncomfortable listening for those of us who are 'them / they..' so to speak. Sad really because the situation was much more positive a couple of years ago.
The irony is that most of the attendees were from services designed to support vulnerable children, young people and adults.
Not sure what the point of posting this is, just venting I suspect :-S

I believe the sceam is called the Bradford factor. And yes with my ex employers (whom showed me support) yea right when it cost nothing I had a very difficualt winter 5 bouts of sickness in 6 months all made worse by my PD. And bingo numer 1 to be made redundant.surprise surprise. BB

i believe the term is organisational abuse and comes under the 1997 harassment act they should read their own guidelines.