Anxious & tearful

Hi All

Went for my usual Neuro appointment today. Felt fine when sitting in waiting room, then as soon as I was called in I was awash in floods of tears, and was trying to tell her how i had been feeling but couldn't tell her for crying! Just as well my OH attended and continued the conversation. I eventually gather myself together but felt so angry with myself for being like that. Has anyone else felt the same or been in the same situation, or is it a 'woman' thing............

Sheffy

Hi Sheffy,

It's not just a woman thing, it's an everybody thing.  Over the past few years, I have felt so miserable that I cried myself to sleep.  I realised that it was not normal for me to be in such a mood so I went to my GP.  He went through a simple questionnaire and decided I was depressed and prescribed some anti-depressants.  He also signed me up with a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist to see it she could help - it's early days so I cannot say it's working or not.

Peter.

Hi Peter

Many thanks for you reply to my post, It gives me great comfort to know that something can be done about it. My neuro advised me to go to my GP and have a word with him and that maybe he would prescribe  something, but I don't really want to go on anti-depressants, but now that I know there is an alternative in behavioural therapy I will approach him and hopefully he can put me in touch with one in my area - Leicester. I didn't really think that this crying was that much to worry about I thought it was me just being over emotional, so thankyou for making me realise that this is something that needs to be sorted.

Sheffy

Hi Sheffy.....I am sorry i have not been on the forum for ages, but i am glad i have this evening and read your post. I felt for you as soon as i read how you were feeling and just wanted to tell you that you are not alone and i know what it is like to suddenly feel overwhelmed by emotion like this. where it comes from i have no idea, i have thought it must be hormonal, after being on HRT for 19 years and gradually took myself off it a few months back. Or is it just that everything eventually comes to a head? We cope don't we with all that is thrown at us....and when our poor bodies cannot take anymore it tells us. Trouble is it happens without any warning generally and that is a bit of a shock isn't it? Like you i can poodle along quite happily and the next thing i am in floods of tears and couldn't tell you why. I tried anti depressents many years ago when my dear Dad died and i was having panic attacks, but i didnt stay on them for long, as someone suggested line dancing or any type of exercise i guess would do the same, buti literally threw myself into it and it helped me so much. Now when i feel this overwhelming sadness, i have a good cry, and it can go on for ages then i put on some music which is uplifting and give it some wally!!!! (worth a try )

Thinking of you matey.......keep your chins up! 

love Dolly x

Hi Dollymaz

Thanks for the kind words. I felt so silly and angry that I behaved the way I did when as far as I could see that there was no need for it. I was always an emotional person but since the parkinsons was DX i've been worse. It could be hormonal as you say or it could be the parkinsons. My GP was brilliant when I went to see her, she was not my usual GP but she was really helpful  and has put me in touch with someone. We do tend to cope when we have so many things thrown at us, and none so much as you, I hope you and your OH are coping well and that he is doing well. It's good to have this forum to reach out to other people in the same situation as yourself.

Thanks Sheila x

Hello Shefinn,

I thought I'd chip in with this if you don't mind. During the last few years my emotions have become exaggerated, exactly as my father's did when he was my age - 72. But he was never diagnosed - I now recognise his symptoms, of course. The problem of uncontrollable weeping - and I mean the full monty at sad or touching moments, I (being male) find - and my father found - extremely embarrassing. Neither he nor I were, in our earlier years, particularly emotional, and friends and family probably find it shocking. I try to explain but guess that I'm not believed half the time - especially when I have to make quick exits. All this could be so much less difficult with a little more public awareness of the neurological side of PD, don't you think?

Oh yes, and I don't feel depressed at all. In fact it's only by being so cheerful etc.

Hi Blubber - I think there should be more public awareness of all the aspects of PD, because I've become aware myself that too few many of the public know very little about it. Just to let you know that I had four sessions with an advisor, who was very good, (hence the reason for just four sessions) It made a whole lot of difference in how I felt by just talking, You shouldn't hold your feelings in, I admire a man who shows his feelings, it shows he cares. Plus it is all part of the dreaded parky  unfortunately, but i'm so pleased you are not depressed with it, so keep smiling and have your weep when you feel like it, it keeps the depression at bay!

I wish you well, all the best - Sheila

I've cried gp nero nurses every one I've seen pd is very emotional as well

Hi gus - I must admit i'm not so weepy now since I had that therapy, I had a lot talk about and to off load, and the lady I saw just sat and listened to me, and I felt a whole lot better. I must have had a lot of apprehension built up inside me and did'nt realize, and poured it all out. My neuro put me in contact with her, she's from a group called 'Lets Talk' based at Nottingham.

Hope you are coping well - Sheila