Neuroplasticity and John Pepper

Very interesting article in the Guardian about Neuroplasticity and especially the implications for Parkinson's Disease.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/feb/08/norman-doidge-brain-healing-neuroplasticity-interview?CMP=share_btn_link

It mentions John Pepper who regularly posts on the Parkinson's forum on healthunlocked.com.

Here's John's response to the article,

Thanks for your kind words. I am 80 years of age now and I don't know how long I can continue doing all this. It has taken 12 years, since my first book came out, to convince people, especially doctors, that I really have done what I claim to have done.

If other patients are to get the benefit from this I have to get all the National Parkinson's Organisations to organize meetings at which I can show people what to do, because talking about it is not as effective as showing them in real life.

I am prepared to do this, free of charge, if they can organize it and pay for the travel costs and find people we can stay with on these trips.

I am totally dedicated to getting this message out to everybody and I need help wherever I can get it.

I have already visited most western and some eastern countries and am not wanting to do this in order to get some cheap travel.

I am sure that the organizers can charge enough money to cover the costs of doing this and even more to cover other costs as well.

Who is prepared to get this into motion?

So - would anyone be interested in meeting John here in the UK?

I would be interested in meeting John.   I have been reading Norman Doidge book - very thought provoking and interesting.  I was particularly pleased to read the chapter about the Tomatis Centre and Paul Madaule. I met Paul back in 1992 and did some work with him.  The work they do with autistic children is inspiring.

Hi aberwells - I would be interested in meeting John too. I've just started reading his book on kindle and it's really quite inspiring. I've started to pay more attention to my walking to see if it helps.

I must admit I was very sceptical until I read the Guardian article and just today someone lent me his previous book "The brain that changes itself" which looks great.

I am so underwhelmed by others' responses on these forums. I guess that's why I tend to avoid them. But John's willing to come and visit and show how he has managed to do what he claims. What have we got to lose ?

Rant over. I'll try the Cure Parkinson's people.

hello un.s.s!

just read yours.  Too tired now to write but will do so tomorrow.  Ditto to all your comments.

This week had my second nordic walking lesson - really need to try to get stronger ..

I too am interested in Norman Doidge and am currently reading his latest book.  It is interesting to note that there are a least two chapters about Feldenkrais movement therapy.  Working as I do (look at my profile) I find the small gentle movements  very useful to slowly unlock the stiffness and rigidity of pwp.  The mantra when working this way is small movement, slow movement never moving into pain or putting the body under stress and then gradually being able to increase the range of movement. The small gentle movements are in themselves very relaxing and the movements are not the usual exercises one would expect, thus reprogramming the brain and possibly allowing greater flexibility.   As mentioned in the article in the Guardian this way of working requires the self discipline of a daily session and it might be something not everyone can adhere to - it is no quick fix.  Awareness  of both brain and body are essential tools to learn and I teach meditation and stress reduction techniques alongside.  

I am trying to collate a series of movements/ exercises/ yoga postures including the possibility of dance and the use of a beat/ rhythym and would be very interested to hear from anyone who has worked this way and how it worked for them. I would also be interested to hear from anyone who meditates and if it has helped at all ( this includes carers).

I should perhaps add that my husband has been diagnosed for 9 years and I am cutting my work down but would like to contribute something of real benefit for pwp in the meantime.

Hi I realise that I am a few months late to the discussion but I would be interested in meeting John Pepper in the UK and would be happy to join together to help try to fund part of the cost of any trip. I would be fascinated for him to go through the steps he took to re-learn how to walk. Please let me know if anyone else is interested / who to get in touch with. Very many thanks 

Hi 

My name is Jill and I am delighted that John Pepper will be in the UK in September.

I am organising an event for John to speak at in London on 21st September at 7pm and a friend is organising an event in Shaftesbury at 2pm on 17th September.

If anyone is interested in attending either event please let me know.

Other dates may be added.

Kind regards Jill

hello Jill

I am interested in Shaftesbury meeting. What is cost? Unless any other West Country events are possible. i'm in Taunton.

S

That is great - the event in Shaftesbury is £10 - a lovely lady called Daphne is organising the event - if you are happy to send me your e mail here or to [email protected] I can link you both together - many thanks - kind regards Jill

Thanks, that's great. Will email you tomorrow, as suggested.

S

Thanks, that's great. Will email you tomorrow, as suggested.

S

Hi everybody.

Have spoken to the organiser of the Shaftesbury event featuring John Pepper. Sounds worthwhile attending if you are not too far away. Cost £10.

Alternatively he will be in Bristol and London, doing his stuff to get PWPs exercising and walking better / again.

S

Thanks for mentioning to everyone 

There is a talk and demonstration in Richmond upon Thames on 21 September at 7pm and in Ashford, Middlesex at 2pm on 22 September.

If anyone would like further details please let me know.

Hi 

I am just e mailing you in case you have not seen that John Pepper will be doing some talks and demonstrations in the UK in September - please let me know if you would like some more details.

Best wishes 

I do hope you will report on the event.  I believe John himself to be genuine in his desire to help others and his focus on exercise and mindfulness is helpful but I have been somewhat sceptical of his original diagnosis since he wrote he has an essential tremor not a resting one and this is confirmed by his neuro.   He also wrote that at a recent appointment his neuro said his 'Parkinsons' was not idiopathic.  

I am sure his enthusiasm for walking exercise will be inspiring.    

I also look forward to hearing people's experience with reversing their PD as he writes he has done.

Hi Hikoi,

I recognize your username from healthunlocked - I'm partypants over there.

I won't be reporting as I (arguably hypocritically) didn't go in the end. I'm afraid I lost faith as the reality of living with PD kicked in - I was only in my first year of diagnosis then and wanted desperately to have something to hope could help.

I have tried walking and other forms of exercise but nothing has halted the progression so far.