One for the runners

Well ive only gone and done it,ive signed up for a marathon !!!!

What was I thinking!

Luckily its not until september so it gives me plenty of time to train and get fit again.Ive decided this is the year to get motivated I've spent too much time on my behind.In the past I've taken part in 6 half marathons 3 marathons and completed the Biel 100 in 12 1/2 hours ,yes al over 15 years ago and before Parkinsons.

I've not done any running for over a year smoke too much lack motivation so I suppose the question is where do I begin?

there is a risk with pd of injuries such as shin splints and plantar faciitis due to tightness in the calf muscles. toes. etc

extra care needed with stretching, good shoes etc. if pain starts don't ignore it - it will get worse unless the underlying problem is dealt with.

i have to add, and i'm very sorry to say this but i feel i must - a marathon is not  a good idea.

but best of luck and i very much hope i'm totally wrong and you succeed with the marathon.

I say go for it !!

Although i have to warn you that a close friend of mine collapsed and died after competing in a marathon.

On reflection though, perhaps a lap of honour wasn`t such a good idea smile

Groan! Why does the subject of running attract such bad jokes, not bad taste, just BAD! "What Earthquake?" is funny though! Anyway Slippy (you don't mind if I call you that?). First a general check-up with your GP and of course lose the cigarettes. I looked up Biel 100 and you covered  60 (probably mountainous) miles (London-Brighton) in 12  hours, so you know what it is all about. I would guess your Marathon Best is 3.5 - 4 hours? I would agree with Turnip that with the typical PD gait you have to be proactive to avoid injury. I don't entirely agree about a Marathon not being a good idea. Look up NEIL SLIGAR on Youtub and see what he has to say about limitations when you have PD. However as an old school runner I would say do you want to RUN a Marathon or just cover 26 miles on foot. Depending on age  I would say once you get nearer to 5 hours than 4 it is the latter and I wouldn't be interested in the "Isn't the disabled man brave?" vote! See also what Neil says about   setting small achievable targets.I would not even thínk about the Marathon YET. First aim at running 1 mile non-stop, then 5km in maybe 30 minutes, 10km in 1 hour and something like 10 míles in 1hour 45 minutes, THEN start thinking about the Marathon. There is an on-line schedule called "FROM COUCH TO 5K" produced by the NHS which would be a good starting point. I would also look for a local running club because doing the whole thing on your own would be extremely tough. Clubs and others organise Beginners Courses these days. I think a Marathon this autumn is a tall order but not impossible but the important thing is that you keep progressing.If you look up Neil Sligar he refers to an American with PD who has run loads of marathons and has written about it. By the way nothing will be as difficult as that non-stop mile!

don't forget  http://www.alexflynn.co.uk/ motivation to us all.  I am trying to do a shorter event thsi year - 10km. I know its going to be a struggle, my gait is terrible. but need to keep moving. I do though cycle up to 100 miles and find that at mile 50, things start to flow with my movement. I agree we need to think about injury, but also find a sport/ exercise that keeps us moving. Dance, Tai Chi (you tube tai chi for parkinsons), chair exercises, walking the dog etc.

I applaud anyone who does a marathon!! I'd love to.