Physical activity and exercise in Parkinson's

Hi everyone,

I’m currently in my final year of my MSc at Plymouth University.  My research is investigating whether a couple of self-management sessions changes physical activity levels in people with Parkinson’s. Physical activity and exercise has been widely shown to have many benefits for people with Parkinson’s.  This project aims to look at ways to reduce the barriers to participating in physical activity and exercise.

Who can participate in this study?

I am looking for people with Parkinson’s who are able to participate in activities such as walking and gentle exercise groups, but do not regularly do very much exercise. 

The group sessions will be held in a convenient location for you in London, so unfortunately, this study is limited to people living in London.  If you do decide to take part, your travel costs will be reimbursed.

I am looking for up to 40 people to participate, so please do pass this onto anyone you think may want to take part in this study.

What is involved?

You will be invited to participate in group sessions in London, where the benefits of physical activity and exercise will be discussed.  You will be asked to complete some questionnaires to indicate how physically active you are and how Parkinson’s  affects you at three different time points (before the start, after the groups and six weeks later). 

The group sessions (up to 2 sessions) will not last more than 90 minutes and the questionnaires should take approximately 30 minutes to complete at each time point.

Contact details

This research project has been approved by Plymouth University ethics committee and is being supervised by Bernhard Haas (Deputy Head of School of Health Professions).

Please contact me via email ([email protected]) if you would like to take part or if you have any questions about this project.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Sherryl Chatfield

MSc student at Plymouth University