Do i have a compulsion problem?

In the last 7 weeks i have been put on Madopar on a dose of 12.5mgs 3 times a day. Now before i started this drug i had few problems but since i have started on this drug i have developed a compulsion to buy of all things makeup. I have not used makeup for over 25 years and yet recently i have been drawn to the makeup displays in both of my local chemists while visiting them on other matters. So i started buying makeup and admit that i get quite a big buzz out of buying these things. So i go back again and again and the staff there know my preferences for which makeup i like by now. As soon as i walk through the doors they know i will walk out with more makeup. In the last 6 weeks alone i have spent hundreds of pounds on different kinds of makeup. Ok, i will admit that i enjoy using these things again after all these years but i don't seem to be able to stop buying things! I am going to see my neurologist for a checkup next week and will bring this matter up with him. Am i being silly do you think? I never used to have this compulsion to buy makeup all the time before starting on this medication and to top it all in the last week and a half i have bought 4 bottles of expensive perfume which i fancied on the shelves again costing over £200 in total. Shall have to rein in these compulsive issues.

Chrissie

It does sound a bit like a compulsion. Quite a few of us have experienced things of this sort. In my experience the compulsive feelings creep up on you very gently. There is nothing silly about doing this but you should definitely mention it to your neurologist. It's a shame but nothing is so much fun or so harmless that it's still good when you can't stop

EF

Hi Chrissie4224

We've moved your post to the Impulsive and compulsive behaviour forum because it was not something that Gary could answer.

elegant fowl has answered above. If you have further questions about this, you can speak to one of our helpline nurses on 0808 800 0303.

Thanks,

Ezinda

Has there been any successful compensation claims against manufacturers of dopamine argonist drugs , in this country, regarding impulsive and compulsive behaviour.  Garry Walker's answers in the Q & A section does not appear too give much hope for anyone trying to claim now.

As Gary states, there has been a "huge injustice"done to people who took DAs in this country.

There have been isolated settlements some years ago but time limits mean there will be no more.

I hope employees and shareholders enjoy their 7.6 billion pound profits from last year knowing the terrible price many patients have had to pay whilst also suffering from a progressive neurological  condition.

And could I say thank you to Gary for clarifying so well a complex situation.

Even if it left us with no hope of recognition or redress.

GG