Prosavin

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
goldengirl
Prosavin

I, like many others, was thrilled to see and hear news of the extremely promising trial results of prosavin gene therapy carried out in Paris and Cambridge 12 months ago.
I was stunned to hear from the research leader at Addenbrookes hospital that it has proved impossible to raise funding for the next stage of clinical trials and research has therefore come to a halt.
Am I alone in seeing the hand of greedy and amoral drug companies somewhere in this?
Cannot the PDUK coffers offer aid?
To my untrained eye this has seemed the most promising development in years.
GG

turnip

seconded!!!!!!!

goldengirl

Perhaps Research could clarify the situation for us?
Thanks
GG

Mister X

This is the same as with the GM1 ganglioside. GM1 ganglioside, even if not neuroprotective, it has strong symptomatic benefit. It could delay the need for levedopa and at the same time delay diskynesia due to long levedopa usage. However, many mysterious reasons that really don't convince me are used to explain why not use it.

With prosavin ? Probably similar non-convincing arguments will be given.

Research Parkinson's UK

Hello everyone

Thanks for highlighting this issue with ProSavin to us goldengirl -obviously we're keen to see this research move forward too.

Kieran (our Director of Research and Innovation)is away at an International Conference this week but he's aware of the situation and will investigate further when he gets back.

Best wishes

Claire
Research team

Research Parkinson's UK

Hello everyone

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We have been in touch with a researcher carrying out part of this study. The long term follow-up study is proceeding as planned. They are developing a second generation 'ProSavin' with an expected improvement in efficacy and they are aiming for this to start clinical development in 2014.

Read more about the 'ProSavin' trial in the Oxford Biomedica press release - http://bit.ly/119dBTL

Unfortunately we don’t know as yet the exact dates for the next trial or where it will be based but we are keeping a close eye on any developments and will share any news through our website and magazines.

All the best,

The research team

goldengirl

The link is the news published 13 months ago. At that time the improved version was under development.
Presumably the only monitoring is of those patients already treated.
The information from Addenbrookes at that time was that phase 3 trials would begin at the end of 2012. It is this development that has not attracted funding and is not in the pipeline.
Am I to understand that no new trials are planned until 2014?
Thanks
GG

Research Parkinson's UK

Hi goldengirl

The people who have already been treated are currently being monitored and the new drug being developed. We have been told that recruitment will indeed begin in 2014.

The delay is due to clinical rather than financial reasons.

We will of course keep you updated when we know more.

Best wishes,

The research team

Kendo

Have there been any further details released on the next phase of trials.  This seems to be in need of consideration if thinking of being part of the GDNF trial.  

goldengirl

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01856439

I find this hard to understand but I assume it means that patients who had the 1 injection treatment are being followed up in France only and will be monitored until 2022.

Considering all the publicity about the amazing results a couple of years ago it seems incredible that this is the only development .

I was told by a leading researcher that funding was no longer available in the UK for further work on this.

If 1 injection all but cures Parkinsons and minimises the symptoms and slows the progression, there will be a huge loss of income for the drug companies and the need for the Parkinson's Disease Society.

Am I alone in seeing a link?

GG

Kendo

Certainly a 'one off' or 'single point' infusion/injection into the target area does seem to be a more scaleable approach compared to the 4 implanted tubes and skull port for the infusions as per the GDNF Trial.  One question that jumps out at me is with the GDNF tubes in place if that trial's magic infusion does not prove effective enough to roll out, could ProSavin be delivered via that delivery system.  If the GDNF trial evidences a successful delivery system then could it be used for other solutions.

I think the drug companies patent lifespan on existing drugs is the key to how readily they look to develop neuro factor solutions.  

Pages