Running

Recently diagnosed - have been running since 1973 - anybody had experience of running with our "friend"?
Yes, I ran before I had PD two or three times a week, and did the occasional 10k and half-marathon. I had problems before I was diagnosed, but these diminished when I went on medication. Until quite recently, I could still run if I chose the right time of day, albeit more slowly and with shortened strides. Indeed, I sometimes broke into a trot when I felt an immobile period coming on, and could continue that way until something made me stop, after which I couldn't get going again. Now, 10 years post diagnosis, I can't really run because I topple forwards and fall at the slightest downhill incline or anything my brain thinks is a hazard (my brain then stops my legs but can't stop my upper body propelling itself forward). I did successfully run around the fields near my home recently, but it took an enormous feat of concentration to keep my feet going, and I had to walk down any small incline.
My experience is that it could be easier to run than to walk.
I'm glad that I kept up running as long as I could, because it was good for morale, and kept me fit.
Thanks for advice - if I can run for another 10 years I will be pleased. Currently "running - 9 minute miles" for around 20 miles a week and racing slowly most weeks
Hi there,
Wanted to say that while running is great and by all means keep at it, please go walking, too. Read an article recently about how walking and running are controlled by different parts of the brain. We need to "exercise" the part of the brain that controls walking in order to maintain our mobility. It is difficult for me to just walk instead of run, but can feel a difference in ankle stiffness when I walk 3 times (for 1 hr) a week. I run the other days. Strength and stretching exercises are very important, also. Best wishes, Lin2
Hi Zatopek
I used to run and it was noticing that my right arm was not moving well that resulted in doctors - neurologist - datscan - PD. Run until 2006 when diagnosed (but neurologist thinks PD started in 2000.) Started running in 1964 so had over 40 great years. After that slowly did less running or next two years. With one leg not as mobile I fell regularly, firstly it was after 10 miles when tired but gradually at shorter distances, Finally I just managed not to fall into canal and damaged my ribs.
But we are all different,with me its the left leg thats the problem.

Take Care

westby
I'm a fat git!

Couldn't run before I had PD, still can't run...so I find that it hasn't affected me at all.

:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:
hiya this is a strong subject for me ,and hard one for me to say about cus of me emoutions ,but here we go:smile::smile:i started runnin when i was 9 ,joined aclub when i was 10,i ran for the club and found i was good at the sport,winnin alot of medals,i then went on to run county ,and the english schools,and on to half marathons and full,nationals as well.i met many good runners along my journey ,i ran the nationals which was crosscountry at the time in cardif with zola budd ,and became good friends with her,to this day runnin with liz mccollagin and liz yelling i have them as my friends on face book and by phone,this is why it gets emoutional now for me,cus when i got to 28 i felt things were slippin for me and un aware of it it was pd takin effect,by the age of 31 i had stopped could not do no more,but i have arthristis of the spine and other medical probs ,not just the pd.i do no people with pd that still run now,and i give them all the surport ican ,it hurts me deep down i can not do it no more,but i get pleasere seein others doing something i took as my life :smile:
Thanks for all the advice - feels a bit like joining a family!!

Have run every day since last Sat - slow and short (max 6 miles at 9 min mile pace). Had an interesting session on the treadmill last night - 4 miles hard. What made it interesting in a strange way, was that I had to run "properly" else I would fall off. Did have couple of wobbles though!!
I meant to add that I found it easier to run when playing music on my iPod. "After the rain" by the Dhol Foundation has a good beat (you could try it on Youtube). "Madan" by Salif Keita also has a good beat.
Good note Passeggiata. I've seen pwp barely be able to walk but yet they can dance the tango. Like you state, it is all in the beat.

Best wishes,
rico
i wish u all the luck in the world passeggiata with ur running ,keep poundin those roads x:smile:
I could run, but didn't prior to onset of PD.

Now I can't run, but do. Just can't seem to slow to a jog then eventually ease to a stop. It's more a run, faster, faster, stop, "Ooooh me coccyx/knees/arms/face".

Festinating gait, a fascinating subject. I ponder it often, usually whilst picking oneself off the tarmac.:fearful:
Hi , I was diagnosed in 2005 and ran my 11th marathon this year - albeit slowly (10-12 min miles). I also find it easier to run sometimes. I can strongly recommend tai chi if you want to do something to complement the running - i started a year ago and my times are coming down !! Keep on Running
i had to give up running at 26 due to shin splints.
i gave up cycling at 36 due to plantar faciatis.
i gave up rowing due to knee strain and weight lifting due to shoulder, elbow and wrist strains.
i now wonder if all this tendonitis was due to pre-diagnosed pd - tight muscles pulling on tendons. if so pd has been affecting me for at least 25 years.
i know a lot of people believe they have had pdpd ( new acronym!) long before diagnosis.
anyone had similar experiences?
Are you related to the great 'Czech Locomotive'?

What a runner he was!!

Zatopek, hope you are still running. I was diagnosed in late 2009 and only took up running in 2012 when I was 58. I run four times a week, twice with the local running club, once on the treadmill plus parkrun on Saturday mornings. I find running liberating because I don't feel any symptons during a run. I run at a pace between 8 and 9 mins per mile (8 mins in a race and 9 mins in training). I run distances from 5K to 10K. Not really got the stamina for a half marathon but I'm finding 10K gets easier every time I run it. It took me a couple of years to build up to 10K and I've run my first 10K races (4 of them) this year with one more to come.
I have off days sometimes when running, which slows me down to 10 mins per mile. I blame this on my Parkinson's, but maybe that's just an easy excuse to make. I'm slowly improving my PBs for 5K and 10K, which just goes to show that you can still improve your running despite Parkinson's.

I used to do a lot of hill walking, mainly on the west Pennine Moors and in the Peak District and Lake District. I now find it easier to run than walk. I sometimes catch my foot on the ground when walking but not when I'm running.

I also used to do around three long distance walks per year (25 miles up hill and down dale). I've stopped doing them now but only because I'm too busy running and my regular walking companion has been sidelined with a dodgy hip. I did however do a 25 mile hike doing the Yorkshire Three Peaks earlier this year. I first did it fifteen years ago in a much quicker time. Not sure if my slower time was down to old age or Parkinson's. Probably a bit of both.

All in all I feel I get great benefits from running - fitness, fresh air, companionship, respite from Parkinson's symptoms, weight control and a feeling of wellbeing. I would encourage others to take up running or other physical sports and exercises.

Inspiring!!!

BVery impressed Mark Anthony!

i run 3 times a week. Two 3 mile jogs (10 minute per mile pace) including one race ( one mile or 5k).   Also one 1 to 1 session with personal trainer and two gym sessions. Running is still my first love but I struggle to improve on 10 minute miles for 5k and cannot increase distance. 

I'm sure pd is the cause but there just has to be a way to improve to at least a 10k sub 45 minutes

Any suggestions?

Way back in the past my weekly mileage was around 70 training twice a day. I have lbs 53.21 ten miles and 

32 minutes 5k

Dear Zatopek

It's difficult to say, because we all have different Parkinson's symptoms what will work for one person might not work for another.

However, I found that running solo definitely didn't help me improve, it was too easy to give up on a run. The thing that really improved my times was in races, mainly the 5K parkrun with a few other 5K races thrown, plus some 10K races as well. My 5K PB is 22:41.

It took me a long time to build up to 10K but once I had built up my stamina to last the distance I only started to improve my times when I started entering races earlier this year. I've managed to get my PB down each race. It is only 50:52, so I'm not going to win any prizes but just being able to take part is prize enough.

Entering a race makes you take it a little more seriously than a training run, you build up to it during the week to 'peak' on race day at the weekend. The competitor in me then takes over and I automatically run at a faster pace. The incentive is always there to catch the person in front. Occassionally the fear of finishing last can spur me on also, when in a higher quality race.

Training with my local running club also helps. It brings an element of competition into it. It also provides mutual support and encouragement.

I see you have done a lot of running over the years. That inevitably leads to wear and tear on various parts of the body which can slow you down as time passes, not to mention old age and Parkinson's!! I have only been seriously active since my diagnosis (I did a lot of hill walking but I don't think it caused too much wear and tear) so consequently I haven't worn out any parts of my body yet which I think is why I am relatively injury free and don't feel any little 'niggles' which can affect performance.

Don't let Parkinson's hold you back, fight it.

Good luck.

Thanks for advice Mark

I agree - fighting PD has to be the way ahead. I race at least twice a month but do not understand why I can't record respectable times. My very modest target is sub 30 for 5k. Currently I run around 32 minutes. 

Take care