Freezing

My sister is looking to start swimming but she has been freezing a lot more recently. Should she have someone watching her the whole time because of this? Is it likely she'll freeze in the pool or does exercise (like swimming) help reduce this?

I really hope those don't sound like stupid questions. I didn't think this could happen during exercise so needed to check as I'm worried now. I still really want her to enjoy herself though. I don't want to stop her doing the things that make her happy but I want to keep her safe from harm.

Would anyone be able to offer some advice on this?
Sorry can't help you on this. Probably by morning you will get someone with more experience to advise. Have you tried the helpline? Number at top left of page.
freezing + swimming = drowning
ps she should ALWAYS swim in the lane next to the side of the pool and preferrably in the shallow end. A well known new zealander Warwick Rogers came close to dying on a beach where the water is only 4 feet deep. An infamous banker with pd died in his pool. Cramp, freezing and sudden weakness are all very dangerous in deep water.
Hi,

Before I was dx one of the many "something and nothings" I experienced was that while swimming, I would occasionally suddenly forget how to swim,. i.e. the automatic movement failed and I would have to talk myself through the movements whilst trying not to panic. It wasn't PD freezing (or was it?) but disturbing. I would recommend only swimming in a pool with a lifeguard, telling them and as Turnip says keep close to the side and the shallow end. My less than graceful swimming style has always earned the close attention of the lifeguard anyway - I have always looked like I'm about to sink.
A lot of pwp's do swim but many like my husband had to give up as he just couldn't keep afloat.
There are pools around the country such as Freeways who support people with learning difficulties that also allow people to use their pools and have a physio's on hand they do charge of course but several of the members of our local branch use them.
I have a back problem and the club where I go allow me to take a friend with me to help me dress etc, they do not charge for her. Better to be safe than sorry.
best wishes
vivian
Hi,

I have severe freezing episodes during the day, but only on standing/walking, never whilst sitting or lying down.

I attend a hydrotherapy/swimming session every two weeks, and freezing just does not happen in the pool.

I also attend chair exercises every week and twice a week I attend the Gym for an hour session each time, cycling weights etc etc..

This exercise programme has been substantially beneficial to me both mentally and physically and I would recommend it to anyone ,it really is worthwhile, but it does not help with my freezing, but of course, we are all different and it may help others.

Hope this helps you?

Regards,

Mike
Hi All
My husband had problems with freezing and the Parkinson's nurse told him to carry water and take a dispersible Madopar.
Not much use if you are half-way across the road but magic if you are at the cinema and can't make it to the car park!
Takes about 10 mins and then works very well until time for next dose of Sinemet.
He was offered an Apomorphine pen which works almost instantly but it is a DA and he suffered terribly from OCDs when taking them so we felt it wasn't an option.
Hope this helps.
Love GG