You can send a message to other forum members if they have chosen to receive personal messages. Your personal mailbox is part of your website account and you can also access it when you are on the forum. Messages are addressed to the display name you use on the forum. The messaging system does not reveal your real name or your email address.
Appropriate use of personal messaging
When sending personal messages, you should follow the rules you would follow when posting on the forum.
We do not recommend that you share private contact information with other forum members.
Opting in and out of messaging
If you wish to receive messages from other forum users you'll need to update your account settings. By default, forum user accounts are set not to receive personal messages.
Setting your messaging preferences
- When you create an account and activate your community profile, you can opt in to messaging by ticking 'Allow people to send me personal messages'.
- You will then have the option to receive notifications by email when you have a new message. This will not reveal your email address.
- If you already have an account, go to the 'My account' link at the top of the page.
- Select 'Account settings' and set your messaging preferences.
- Save your changes.
- You can change your messaging preferences at any time by going to the 'My account' page.
Messages from Parkinson’s UK
Sometimes we may need to contact you by email or by personal message to let you know about forum or to answer a question.
Viewing and managing your messages
You can view and send personal messages from the 'My messages' menu in the 'My account' area. When you are on the forum, there is also a link to 'My messages' on the left-hand menu.
New messages are displayed in your Inbox.
Sent messages are listed under the tab 'Sent messages'
The 'All messages' tab contains messages you have received, sent or archived.
When you log in to your account, you can see if you have received any new messages through the 'Your notifications' box to the right of your profile.
You can also choose to receive an email notification when a message has been sent to you. You can opt in or out of this in your Account settings page.
This notification will be sent from [email protected] to the email address used when you created your account. You'll have to log in to personal messaging to view your messages.
Sending a message
You can send a message to another forum member, if they have chosen to receive personal messages.
- Go to 'My messages'.
- Select the 'New message' tab.
- Enter the name of the member you want to write to. If there is more than one member, separate their names with a comma.
- Type in a subject and your message text.
- Click "Send".
Blocking and unblocking users
You can choose not to receive personal messages from individual forum members.
- Go to the 'Blocked users' tab in your mailbox.
- Add the name of the forum member you don’t want to receive messages from and click "Block user"
- You can choose to unblock a member if you change your mind later