There are several options provided in the message edit screen to help you prepare your content before posting.
Formatting text options
Your formatting options are included in the tool bar above the area where you write your message. The options available are:
- bullet points
- numbered lists
You can use these options to give emphasis and order to the text of your posts.
Highlight the words you want to emphasise and click on the relevant icon eg [B] for bold. You will be able to see the formatting change before you save the post.
Tip: To emphasise parts of your message, it is better to use the formatting options above than to write in all caps. You should also use these formatting options sparingly. Remember that writing in all CAPS or all bold or italic is hard to read and is generally considered poor forum etiquette.
Other formatting options
Web addresses will automatically become hyperlinks. This means that people reading the post will be able to click on the link and go to the web address you've specified.
There are a selection of 'emoticons' that you can insert in your message to show how you're feeling or your intended meaning.
Place your mouse at the place in the text where you want to insert the emoticon, then click on your chosen emoticon.
Tip: Emoticons can help to ensure readers interpret your message in the sense it was intended. But they should generally be used with restraint.
There are two options for checking your spelling.
1. Spell check as you type (SCAYT)
The spell check as you type (SCAYT) does just that. It is automatically enabled so you can use it without doing anything. As you type, you will see that words that might be misspelled are underlined in red. This option is at the end of your formatting options bar and is highlighted in blue.
2. Web spell check
There is also a simple spell check you can use to look up the correct spelling for your word.
- Click on the word you want to check.
- Click on the first of the spell check icons. The programme will suggest alternative spellings.
- To accept a suggestion provided by the checker, select the relevant word from the list of terms and click ‘Replace’.
- If you do not want to accept the suggestion click 'Ignore'.
- Once the checking is complete, click 'Finish checking' to return to your post.
- At any time in the checking process you can press 'Cancel' to return to your post.
You can preview your message to see how it will be displayed once it is published.
- Click on 'Preview' when you have finished writing your message.
- You can make changes to the text that you have written while previewing.
- Once you are happy with what you have written, click 'Save' to publish it to the forum.
Important: Once your post has been published to the forum you can edit it, but only for 3 minutes after you have posted. Think before you post.