Hey guys, I know you aren't medical professionals, but I need to know that I'm (probably) not crazy! I'm 24 and I've been worried for a while now that I have early onset parkinsons I get laughed out of every doctors office I have seen because "Well you can't possibly have that! You're too young!" with no tests. It's a legitimate worry for me. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, so literally I could walk into my GP's office with my arm hanging off and it would be down to Fibro I am however worried it is this, not Fibro.. I'll try and remember all my symptoms in this following list and describe them if possible:
- Tremors - I get this symptom when I'm relaxed. My left hand shakes when I'm relaxed. Really shakes. It's kind of a weird sort of up and down and sometimes side - to - side motion. I've had this symptom for a few years now, but this year it has worsened (particularly in the last few months)
- I have severe musculoskeletal pain. Fair enough, probably down to Fibro but nothing seems to ease it, ever. I have been told that with Fibro the pain comes in 'flare ups' but this is constant and they (GPs) will NOT believe me. I don't know why. I am on Oramorph and it does not kick it. Takes a tiny edge off but not much. My spine in particular is agony - both upper and lower. It feels, stiff maybe? I've been tested for arthritis and I haven't got anything like that. Nothing shows up on inflammatory tests etc. So I'm thinking, it's probably not -just- down to Fibromyalgia.
- My speech is either slurred, mumbled, or ridiculously fast without me realising. I don't know why. I have noticed more and more when I'm on phonecalls I'm being told to talk slower, or louder. Half the time my words come out jumbled up. Like I could say 'milk' for example and it comes out 'kilm'? Figure that one out.
- I keep getting horrendous full body convulsions? It's the only way I can describe them. It's like my body starts to shake and I twitch insanely badly and I shiver, for a few seconds and it's ridiculously uncomfortable. Side note: I have been tested for epilepsy in my teens so I doubt it's that.
- My mouth and eyelids keeps twitching. Really badly. I have to try and move them with my hands to stop it.
- I have unexplained blurred/double vision. I have been to an eye clinic and optician etc to be told, "Yes you have kind of bad eyesight, nothing major. Doesn't explain your double vision though. Just wear your glasses" and that is that. They won't test further. Also in addition, I always wear my glasses and my double vision is still there.
- I'm VERY unsteady on my feet. I walk with a stick already as it helps me balance and reduces pain. However, my arms don't swing as well as they should. I noticed that these past few months they barely move when I walk. Only the hand that has my stick moves. If I were to look to my side, or behind me, or up, or down, I lose my balance and I am likely to fall (if my partner wasn't there to catch me)
- I have falls quite often. Most recently I fell down the stairs and really bruised badly. Mostly my pride was hurt but either way, I shouldn't be having falls at my age.
- I get seriously bad cramps. To the point for example my hand will freeze in a particular position, and to free it I have to use my other hand to twist it out of its position and I've even snapped tendons this way. I've been to minor injuries with this and was told 'Well you CANT have just had cramp!' when I have.
- I am very slow sometimes with my movements. I struggle to do various things.
- I have weakness in my hands and arms. I often can't open bottles of water for example. I struggle with using tin openers etc.
- Again, this one could be down to Fibro, but I have major fatigue. I am so tired. All the time. I sleep sometimes 3 - 5 hours in the day, then 12-14 at night, and I'm still tired. It's beyond ridiculous. Sometimes though, I don't sleep at all and literally cannot switch off and I am wide awake. All night long. Which does not help the fatigue as you can imagine.
- This one I am finding SO embarrassing, but I'll post it here for a clearer picture. Lately, I'm finding I keep getting a sudden urgency to go to the toilet for a wee. If I don't go, that's it, I am likely to wet myself. Worse however is the fact that I have bowel incontinence. I often find myself trying to reach the toilet and not making it in time and I literally cannot control it. I remember a time I used to choose if I could hold it or not. Now I simply can't. At my age, I feel totally embarrassed. It's happened out in public too. I've had to rush into the nearest shop.
- I struggle to swallow food, a lot of the time. I really struggle. I have to have a lot of water on hand so I can swallow without choking. It's stupid.
- I often drool without realising. It's embarrassing.. Not much else to say about that one.
- I keep getting dizzy and headrushes when going from sitting to standing. My blood pressure was tested the other day for a routine thing and it was perfect. So no low blood pressure.
- I have a really bad memory, partly down to a mental health issue that I have, but I am sure that it shouldn't be so bad that I cannot remember words, times, days, etc?
I -think- that's pretty much everything. I am just finding it so hard with GPs/Doctors. I just don't know where to turn. If you read all this, then I applaud you haha I feel like I ramble half the time.
I hope you're all having a good day.