Return to the gym

Well instead of nervously waiting for my appointment with the neurologist in February I decided to return to the gym today.  I used to go about three times a week.  Never been a gym lover but I went to enable me to keep on playing tennis.  I hadnt been in about 5 weeks so expected it would be hard.  Although I have never got that "buzz" that other gym users talk about I found today's session relatively easy for an old timer like me.  So maybe it was good for me to concentrate on something else other than the twitches in my hands.

John

keep it up while you can

Thanks Turnip. I also went to my piano lesson this week having informed my piano teacher about the problem. She is a great lady and we have a lot of fun. Whilst any future exams may be beyond me due to the tremor and twitching I do want to continue whilst I am able.

John

i have had to give up playing musical instruments but instead write it and play it through using musescore. pd gradually takes things we enjoy away - we have to find other ways of achieving the same or similar ends. 

until cureday we have to fight against it as  best we can.

best wishes

t

I came to piano playing late in life but. I love it. It will be such a sadness to have to give it up. At least I now have an excuse when I make a mistake :-)

same with me with the electric guitar - i wish i had taken it up 40 years ago, alas too late now.

but seriously there are interesting developments in drug delivery which might help even my guitar skills!

so we never say never!

I read recently that playing a musical instrument stimulates every single part of the brain in a way that no other activity does.

Surely, that's got to be good news for any musician with PD, no matter how many mistakes they make through a lack of dexterity. (It might not be the best news for their neighbours, though!)

i have been thinking recently that the musical centres of the brain may be less affected by pd which is why i find myself spending an increasing amount of time on music. no evidence for this but an  interesting idea. (at least to me it is!)

good thing about electrical instruments is headphones!!!! 

That's an Interesting point, Turnip.

On the subject of instruments, I’m wondering if the study includes the instrument of the voice. The voice uses similar skills to the piano or guitar, ie interpreting the notes on the page, their lengths and dynamics, etc, and translates this interpretation to the instrument with the aim of conveying emotion.

Not only that, singing encourages flexibility for the vocal chords (like the fingers with the piano or guitar) not to mention, of course, the immense amount of pleasure the performer – and maybe even the listener – enjoys!

Should a person with PD give up singing and/or playing?  For me, the answer is a no-brainer!

I agree one should percevere - but there comes  point where things just don't work...

I shall continue playing as long as I am able