Posting

Why does stuff keep disappearing on this new forum. 

I see no advantage in having both a preview and a 3 minute edit facility

surely preview is enough.  As it is it is, a total of six options is  confusing e.g. I would take  the option "save" to mean that  happy for the post to be posted but no there are more options, i

I tried the wording you have suggested to  search the internet in the absence of a search facility  but found that a straight forward google search worked better

Hope this isn't too curt but speed is of the essence!!. 

Does "quick reply mean you can short circuit the preview/edit sequence and type/post directly?

Hi eileenpatricia

Could you tell me more about posts disappearing from the forum? Does this happen after you've posted something or while you're in the process of posting? I've never had this happen so we'll need detail to look into it further. 

On search: We just suggested a path that people could take to search the forum but if you find that something works better, then it is great to use that. 

There were requests when people were using the last forum to be able to edit their posts. This time limited edit seemed the best way to meet this need without having the confusion of posts being changed after they were responded to.

I'm not sure what you mean by the six options. If you type your post and press 'save' it does just post. You don't need to use the preview if it's not useful to you - I often don't. Though the time for edit clock begins running down, if you ignore it, your posts stays the same. If you don't want to change it, you don't need to use this feature. Just use the features that you find useful. 

Hope that helps but please do get back to me on posts disappearing.

Thanks,

Ezinda

I have missing post. 

In the notifications box in my account. It says I have 29 new posts in my discussions.

ive trawled through 4 years of topics, but alas, a canna find them captain, they have gone![dramatic music: exit stage left]

Eck - ignore that stuff in My account: the thing doesn't add up too good.

ezinda - just wondering whether some of the lost post are due to navigating away from the thread? I think I'm right that this blanks the post you're in the middle of writing - so if you go away to eg check a publication link, you come back tyo a blank message. Workaround is to open another copy of the site in a new tab - but I always remember this just a fraction too late darn it.

Semele

Hi Ezinda,

Yesterday  the top half had disappeared when I tried to scroll back in one instance which I feel is down to the site, and another time while I was typing some disappeared but I can't swear it was not Parky fingers inadvertently doing a control command.  I will try and keep track.

When I choose "save" out of the options  it goes to another page where I have to choose save again.  What is wrong with the word "post" ? 

If you choose preview you can see the post as it will be above what you are typing (which I didn't know before just now) and alter what you are posting if necessary which is a vast improvement on the previous forum.  If you can do this why do you need an alternative opportunity to edit.  Does the three minutes refer to how long you have to choose it or how long you have to make the alteration?  What does "Quick Reply" mean please

Hi Ezinda

Ignore the second paragraph.  I didn't realise that I was actually looking at the post with an opportunity to edit which eventually disappears leavng the "reply option" for other people to use and not me. There is a quick flash of a goobledygook page before the save works which is a bit confusing as well.

Careful what ye post for,

I no longer wish to be reminded that there are 50000000 new postings in boys names, or uk towns for that matter and I admit that I thought "six letter words" was a swearing competition rather than an intelligence Olympic event.  How do I "uncare" a topic of conversation? ez, Ez EZ EZ??

Hi Eck,

I can see that would be problematic. I'll look into this and get back to you. 

Thanks,

Ezinda

Well Eck,

I'm afraid it's not good news - we could try to exclude the Social club from the Latest activity content. But we would have to do this for everyone and some might want to receive these updates.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Ezinda

Alas and Alack.

Anyone, a UK TOWN beginning with "I"?

Is there an IT expert in the house?

All I can say, is I go on a number of sites and this is the only one I have trouble with.

The latest is "ACCESS DENIED" when I try to post just now , or as  this site has it "save" my post.  And yes I am logged in and keep logging in.   I can't even copy the post I have been hours at today (  and yesterday)  to my computer as it as the highlighting disappears when I hit my  "copy" . Neither can I  copy and paste from my computer word doc. to the comment box  either.   I notice that another member could not post a link, i.e.copy and  paste it.   Between friends, all with various ages of computers and operating systems you can expect this glitches but not here surely. 

Meanwhile my pearls of wisdom are on a screen print waiting until I have the will to live.

Oh I see this has posted  thankk goodness

I was an IT expert 10 years ago. 

Back in the day, it didn't matter if your data was stored on a binary flip-flop to a solid state disc, just when you need it: GONE!

its Easter, I was promised an Easter egg by the delivery company if I ordered last Thursday by 8pm:ITS NO HERE!  My Easter has been ruined, I won't get it back.

its been the most asked question throughout my 20 year career.  Why have I lost my data? Although it was never put as calmly or as succinctly as that, that was the jist.

Case in point :

I use a tablet, I know from experience that thus will go a&@e about face if I leave it to spend howerver long in t'toilet, so i saved it, spent a penny it turns out, and seamlessly, I'm back in the groove. 

Ez can't help us, heaven can't help us, we can only minimise the carnage.

Here are my top tips

be like me: short and simplhe

Get rid of unnecessary processes, like spell checker, highlights, bullets, whatever that car thing is 

(dog needs out)

Ez, is it feasible to have a 'draft'  facility cos this edit box is a bit suspect,,or, in all fairness, your users are a bit suspect.  As you have no means of debugging our every entry, I think feel that would be a help, to all concerned.  That and an autosave, every 20 or so characters. 
Alternatively ( dogs barking)

(Bin man)

just went to save that last bit - got access denied - I managed to go back using the browsers navigation buttons - copy my text , login, paste and save it. 

I note from that page, it says I'm logged in.

ez, you will see from the timings of the postings and from my last login, I should be logged out. Had I lost all of this I would have been in tears, what with the fact I've no Easter egg. 

For us lot, my only suggestions are keep it short, multiple saves if 1) it is long and b)you'll be away from your computer

i'm going to look into a key logger, i doubt there'll be one for my iPad, there is one for Linux. I'm off to google key logging. 

A key logger is a bit of software that logs each keystroke.

I'm really sorry to hear about your easter egg, Eck.

About the losing-posts thing: could this be a tablet or a browser issue? Running Firefox in XP I don't have any problem either losing posts or copying post in either direction. Correction; one problem - if I ever navigate away from the Add new comment box. Which you might do if you want to look up a post on a previous page, or click on a link or look up  publication. Workaround: right-click and open pages in a new Tab.

If we have long memories, we'll recall that in the old ver, we didn't see even the post we were replying to, so there is progress. Even so, unless I'm writing a short reply I'd always write in my word processor (trusty old WordPerfect, with all the control keys set to be under my left, stronger, hand) and copy and paste into the reply.

All best

Semele

I'm devastated about the egg. You are right Semele it's aprobably the browsers. All the it team can do is give the user an edit box using the package available. 

The team can't do much about the probs  hence the wrk arounds. 

Ive lost the 1st line of this post because I inadvertently pinched the screen and closed the browser,  that was definitely me. 

I would like to know if you could paste HTML source into your document. I know you used to. I know I'll try it.