Hips, Polymyalgia Rheumatica and PD

Greetings from Tenafly, New Jersey,

My best to each of you wherever you are.

I have a nagging suspicion that my PD symptoms may have been misdiagnosed: In 2005 I went to a rheumatologist for shoulder pain and difficulty putting on my coat. Was DX with PMR and put on low dosage of methylprendisolone (Medrol).

In 2010 I was DX with ostioarthritis in hips. Had right hip replaced. In 2011 had left hip replaced. Left continued to hurt (muscle pain in thigh, difficulty lifting leg.) Had left hip revised in 2012 but muscle pain in thigh and lifting difficulty continued. Bone scan suggests that titanium femoral stem may have loosened at bottom - but not conclusive. Am scheduled for another left hip revision to replace stem on August 1. Hand/forearm tremor began one month ago and neurologist DX PD. (We agreed to hold off on meds and monitor in fall.)

As I research PD I find that painful hips, shoulders, etc. are symptoms. I am wondering if my PD might have started years before the tremors and that these other symptoms were misdiagnosed as PMR and ostioarthritis. Over the last two months it has begun extremely difficult to walk on my left leg. I'm shuffling along with a cane. The neurologist thinks it is safe to go ahead with hip revision. Have any of you had similar issues? I welcome your advice.

Thank you, Lex
Parkinson's affects your gait /posture among so many many other things .

My husband is now 79 but even in his twenties he had trouble with a very painful shoulder , Had all sorts of physio , and stretching .

He swam most days , thinking it would help .

It never ever went away .

When I look back of course I can see the signs that were always there . As he got older he would have the occasional sciatica .

We didn't think anything about it we all get on with our lives don't we .

When he eventually started to finds things a struggle . Struggle is a word he started to use often !! it's was his knees that became painful

he accepted that he was getting older .

Parkinson's was creeping up insidiously .

He has recently had a patella femoral replacement and arthroscopy , . It didn't help very much he is still struggling but I can recommend

a very good pain killing cream though . It's called PERNATION .
I found with my husband as he struggled more and more to walk he became shorter and his knee started to collapse under him .
Hi
I have hip pain and shoulder pain. The hip and shoulder pain predate my PD diagnosis by 8 years. All my aches and pains go when I am medicated and return when the medication wears off. I also have sciatica pain which is greatly relieved by sinemet.

In answer to your question "As I research PD I find that painful hips, shoulders, etc. are symptoms. I am wondering if my PD might have started years before the tremors and that these other symptoms were misdiagnosed as PMR and ostioarthritis. "

I would say from my experience it is very likely. You may also have arthritis but whether with Parkinson treatment you could have had sufficient relief from pain to avoid surgery is an interesting question.

I'm sorry to read of your current difficulties. Shuffling sounds classic PD.. Have you considered medication now? It is always a difficult decision to begin medication. Many others here have asked about starting and there are some very good posts on this topic.
Dear Johnnie and Hikoi,

Thank you for your comments and advice. Very helpful and most appreciated.

Lex.